Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 16, 2018, 11:24:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who am I? Where do I come from?  (Read 2412 times)
dadams

View Profile Email
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/editorial/who-am-i-where-do-i-come-from-20121003-26zn8.html

and Lara's got a great big family:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/laras-got-a-great-big-family-20121003-26zl8.html
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:30:31 PM »

Thanks for those links.

Hopefully with Victoria leading the way the other states will follow and allow access for everyone.

In the second article there is this line:
"And as facial recognition technology improves, in a few years Lara will probably be able to put her donor's photo into Google Images and find out exactly who he is."

Has anyone heard of using facial recognition to find out what the donor looks like?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »

Hi Adam, facial recognition only works if you have an existing picture. So it is no good for people like us.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »

Well it might work... if we look like the donor at a certain age.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »

My understanding of facial recognition is that it maps the landmarks of the face and sets them up as ratios, distance between eyes, distance between nose and lips etc (but i could be wrong) in which case I doubt that there would be the similarity inherent in the face that we can visualise as being similar that the computer could interpret.
It'd certainly be nice though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: