Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 16, 2018, 05:33:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering assisted conception via donor sperm...  (Read 2880 times)
daisymay

View Profile Email
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:03:03 AM »

Hello,

I have always wanted children, yet life hasn't yet turned out that way. My marriage ended in divorce and I am single and 36 and feel I have so much love to give, yet haven't found the right person.

I have very supportive family and friends and I am looking into 'Assisted Conception' via IVF with donor sperm. Obviously this is a huge decision, and one I will not undertake lightly. My main concern is the psychological implications for the child/children. I understand that donors can now no longer remain anonymous, so the child has the choice to obtain their details once they turn 18.

I am looking for donor offsprings views; positive or negative....

Kind regards,
May  Smiley
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:56:34 PM »

Hi Daisymay
you are correct that donors can no longer remain anonymous.
NHMRC guidelines from 2004 (which all clinics must abide by as part of their accreditation), state that only donors willing to have their identity known can be used. Subsequently more of them are older than what they used to be (which were typically uni students back in the day).
Anyway, there are a whole rainbow of views and emotions by my fellow DC offspring, some happy, some angry and bitter, and some everywhere in between.
Perhaps it might help if you have some specific questions that you could pose.
Kind Regards
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »

Hello and welcome Daisymay.

I applaud your effort to find out more before deciding. I think if you search online you will find mostly dissenting views from donor offspring as any who are happy generally don't post and the rest want to remain private.

Although I don't have the titles on hand I know there are some good books about this which may help you.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
daisymay

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:28:02 AM »

Hello Damian & Quinny,
Thank you for your replies.  I will continue my research and keep my eyes and ears open.  The books sound good too Smiley
Kind regards,
May
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »

Dear May
it is fantastic that you are doing your research. Cudos to you.
best wishes
Damian
jojamwil

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 01:09:01 AM »

Hi May,

I'm a mum to two donor conceived boys. We are in contact with the donor and the boys have known about their donor dad since they were old enough. Happy to chat with you if you would like, both from my point of view and to share what the boys think about it all.

cheers Jo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: