Australian Donor Conception Forum
November 17, 2018, 11:22:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Monash IVF - Donor 54A  (Read 51300 times)
jojamwil

View Profile Email
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »

Hi,

I'm a mum to two donor conceived boys, 12 and 11. They both have the same donor dad, 54A. I am in contact with the donor and am interested in hearing from any families of the boys' siblings. There are 14 half siblings from 10 other families.

kind regards, Jo
jojamwil

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:22:12 AM »

I received a registered letter on friday. After picking it up I found that it was from the Victorian BDM. I called them straight away and was told that another family of the same donor had requested information from the voluntary registry and was I prepared to release information. The answer of course was yes.

So I am now waiting for the forms from BDM to indicate what information I am prepared to release. Once I get that, I fill it out and return it and wait for contact. The other family has to have counseling and then they decide what they want to do.

I've emailed our donor as I know he'll be pleased. I am curious as to whether the other family has requested his information. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I am very pleased that I may be able to have contact with another family.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:50:45 PM »

That's great news, Jo! Hope it all goes well.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
jojamwil

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »

Thanks Quinny. Fingers crossed they make contact Smiley
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »

Good luck Jo.
jojamwil

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »

Just an update. The mum made contact with me and my boys now know they have a 9 year old half brother. I was able to put the mum in contact with the donor and she's chatting with him now as well.

Her son was thrilled even though he had an older brother he now had two new brothers. He also said that when he saw the picture of his donor he now felt whole.

We all deserve to know who we are. I wish all who are looking to find what they need.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »

That's a great update! Thanks for sharing Jo.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
jojamwil

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 11:25:25 PM »

Wasn't really sure where to post this update, so hopefully this is the right place.

Well the boys are now 15 and 13. No more donor families have contacted us since the last post, but you never know what's around the corner 😄

One of my passions, even as a very young child, is family history. I've just got in to DNA family research and this has opened up a whole new world of research for me. I've even had the boys tested and I'm just waiting for their results to be processed. Now we know our donor, so I'm not doing it for that reason, although I have told the donor that once i receive the boys results regarding family ancestry, I'll let him know, as the Y DNA will be his.

The reason I bring this up, is there are a lot of people who post on the various boards and facebook pages who are doing it because they are adopted or were sold as a baby - one of my closest matches is a lady in this position. I'm still trying to work out how we are related so I can give her some family information. But it may be an avenue that you may want to investigate if you are trying to track down your donor.

I am using 23andme and there is also ftdna. They are USA sites but while a lot of people are American, there are quite of few of us from overseas.

So if you want any further information or have any questions, feel free to post here or send me a message.

All the best to everyone.

Jo
jojamwil

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:36:09 AM »

This just appeared in my Facebook feed from one of the groups I belong to. Just so you can see how DNA helps people find their birth parents.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/henry-louis-gates-jr/can-dna-help-you-find-you_b_6121118.html?o_xid=63976&o_lid=63976&o_sch=Email
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:42:14 AM »

Thanks for the update Jo
Yes genetic genealogy is something that we promote among the donor conceived offspring ourselves.
The two main companies that we use are the ones you have suggested - both 23andMe and FamilyTreeDNA.
There have been quite a few offspring now who have found either the donor or siblings through this method.

I wrote a paper on this called "Building a Family Tree: Donor-Conveived People, DNA Tracing and Donor 'Anonymity'"    
by Damian Adams, Sonia Allan
you should be able to get it here if you are interested:
http://www.nla.gov.au/openpublish/index.php/aja/article/view/3024/3520
jojamwil

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 03:11:32 AM »

Thanks Damian. Very interesting paper. Looks like I'm preaching to the converted Smiley

Do we have or should we have a thread where people can post their GEDMatch no's ?

I know there are groups/facebook pages where people post this information, but since ours has a particular focus, it may be a good place to record it and discuss it.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »

Interesting thought.
Irrespective of if anyone posts Gedmatch numbers or the like.
Those that are related should show up anyway. I guess it is just a matter of trying to see if there is anyone else who is donor conceived or were a  donor etc.
There is a group project on FamilyTreeDNA for donor conceived and donors to register their names.

If you would like to start a thread here then sure - please feel free to do so.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 01:51:23 AM »

Is there any benefit in getting the gedmatch done? I am using it at the moment because I contacted one of the FTDNA closest relatives that matched Kay and I and although we couldn't work out which of his ancestors we had in common, he suggested trying this to help work it out.

It takes months to process and I haven't even checked back to see if mine is ready yet.

jojamwil

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 04:52:34 AM »

Hi guys, just getting the boys DNA processed. Once that happens I'll load their data to GEDMatch and then post back. I'll post some links I've found and groups I've joined too. Sort of a resource if people are interested.

Quinny, not sure what you mean about gedmatch taking months. If we're talking about the same thing, then you get your raw data from your DNA company and then load it to gedmatch. It takes a couple of days to process. Then you can generate reports including matches.

http://v2.gedmatch.com/login1.php
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 04:21:18 AM »

Can't remember what it said about the time to process but it was more than a few days; either weeks or months.

Anyway my data is there now and I have done a search but no close matches have been found.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: