Australian Donor Conception Forum
October 19, 2018, 07:59:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Federal Government Responds to Senate Inquiry  (Read 3666 times)
dadams

View Profile Email
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=legcon_ctte/donor_conception/index.htm

The federal response can be downloaded from the above link.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:13:54 AM »

I guess there is some research for me to do because I don't understand why most of the recommendations are fobbed off to the states and territories, especially when the bounds of the donation cycle are not limited in any way by location.

Either there's some legal reason for this or whoever responded did not understand the recommendations.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »

Adam you are correct that there are no physical boundaries to donation or treatment.
ie you can donate in multiple states or receive treatment in another state
This was one of the reasons why we approached the federal govt to intervene to try and create nationally consistent legislation. Additionally state based registers will not compensate for this nor does the current system allow clinics to determine how many families the donor has already helped (if he has done so at other clinics or states).
However, the problem is that constitutionally the area of health is a power held by the states and it is a power the states don't want to hand back to the feds. So the fed govt does not have the constitutional power to legislate in DC.
But there are possibilities and ways around it but it is extremely difficult.
Technically the handballing of the issues is correct but it is also a cop-out. They could do more to set-up mechanisms to ensure that they all legislate the same, especially seeing they hold the purse strings when it comes to subsidising treatment.
Just my 2 cents - nothing more.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »

Thanks Damian.

Could you please explain some of these extremely difficult possibilities?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »

Rather than get it wrong here, as I am not a law academic, a person who is (Dr Sonia Allan) I believe presented some avenues for the govt in either her submission or it may have been during her testimony or questions on notice which should still be available on the website.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: