Australian Donor Conception Forum
June 18, 2018, 05:23:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A national register  (Read 4063 times)
dadams

View Profile Email
« on: May 17, 2007, 04:29:01 AM »

For all those who would like to see a national register for DC people and donors please write to the federal attorney general Philip Ruddock and your respective attorney general in your own state.
There was an attorney general's meeting held recently in which Philip Ruddock was supposedly going to raise the issue. This was after a meeting that the DCSG held with him earlier this year.
His view was that there should be one, but from what he was able to legislate with within his own powers it would be pretty much to prevent consanguity (half siblings marrying).
So if you believe that there should be a national register then please please please write a letter or letters. The more people that write the better chance this has at succeeding.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 05:22:06 AM »

hi Damian,

Yep I've written to Jim McGinty (WA Att. Gen.) a couple of times since my meeting with him earlier this year.

I didn't bring up the topic of a national register though, we went further and were asking for a national DNA register. Smiley

Here is the latest reply:
"Establishing a DNA register is a very complex matter that has many legal and community implications and a matter that the WA Government would not embark on lightly."

That's all it says about that. I don't think I'll get much response from Jim McGinty about a creating a national voluntary(?) register since WA already has one and he wouldn't be interested in national level things, or so it seems.

I'm happy to write to Philip Ruddock about setting up a national voluntary(?) register. For anyone else, his contact details can be found here:

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=0J4

Cheers,
Quinny

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:35:49 PM »

G'Day Adam,
I'm nots aying you ask Jim about setting up the national register, I'm suggesting that you perhaps ask him about whether or not the issue of one was raised at the SCAGs meeting and what was the outcome.
Just to keep the pressure on.
Cheers
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 06:40:08 AM »

Cool. I've emailed Jim McGinty and Philip Ruddock.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 02:17:56 AM »

I know its a very slow moving project and to even get a national voluntary register seems to be so very hard for the government but I really feel there should be "a" compulsary register and this is what I will be stating. Hell - every other human being on this planet has the right to their biological histories.
Scream human rights.
Just my bit
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: