Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 23, 2018, 11:44:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching... looking ...  (Read 5415 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2006, 04:39:00 AM »

So at the moment I have one of my friends helping me search for donor records but I don't want to go into this too much until after I hear back from them.

I spoke to my Dad today. The person I call my Dad is the man who raised me, not the mysterious hidden biological bloke.
Anyway my Dad said he is very willing to help me and that's so great. He even said he wanted to thank the donor.

Just wanting to say that everyone I have told about being a donor conceived person has been supportive, or neutral. Nothing hostile or negative.

I still think my next place to search is the University of Western Australia's archives or year books or old student rolls or whatever they have.
Now, finding time to go to the university to do that is a bit of a challenge in itself. Smiley

Has anyone had any luck by using university resources to track or get a lead on a donor?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 05:09:23 AM »

G'Day Adam,

first do you know if you are looking for a med student or could it be from the whole student body - it may be helpfull to talk to one of the clinicians who was around at the time to ascertain this. Here in SA it was 90+% med students with the odd science student thrown in.
If it was med students were they only recruited during a specific phase of their study (eg their obs and gyn year)? So that you can narrow down the student year to coincide with your year.
Were they using frozen sperm at the time? I imagine that when you were born that they may have done so in WA but the time they used for remaining frozen should have only been a few months.
Does the med school have student year books with photos?
I know Uni Sydney does but Adel Uni didn't. This could help immensely.
If there is no student year book then perhaps there may have been some sort of univeristy medical association publication that may have pictures in it (there was such a thing done here in SA).
Then you could also look at the graduation calendar that lists all of the graduates for a certain year.
The med school itself may not be overly helpfull due to confidentiality but they may also be able to point you in the right direction.
And yes you will need a LOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT of time. I have spent hours upon hours in the library, because after all you don't want to miss any names because the one you miss will be the one you are looking for.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Damian.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:03:41 PM »

Hi Adam. Wish you lots of luck and I know how your "Dad" feels. As a mum of Jethro I wanted to be able to give him everything he needed to know about himself and I also wanted to thank Cyntra for donating her eggs to us. I think in most cases where you are the "parent" to a doner concieved child you see the child as your own but you also want that child to have everything about themselves available to them - so we as parents feel exactly the same as you do. I hope you find something out as I dont think doners realised way back then what they were actually doing and alot now would like to make themselves known but dont know how. Keep looking, he has to be there somewhere. Did you see me and Jethro in West Australian Monday Nov 20th? I tried to upload the article onto this site but it was too big. Any ideas on how to put it on here? I'm a bit "slow" in this area!!!!
Best Wishes
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 10:56:03 PM »

Thanks for the info Damian. I'll have to see if I can speak to that donor doctor again and ask more specific questions, or see if there's another fertility doctor who was doing this back then who is still practicing that I can ask.

Hi Sue. Yeah there is a limit on what files can be attached. Unfortunately I didn't see the article properly (the guy sitting next to me on the train had the paper open to that page so I read a bit of it) but I did see the picture. Smiley Is there no online link to the article?
We might have to ask Mitch if we can have somewhere to post scans of newspaper articles for people to read. Otherwise you can email it to me and I'll be happy to type it up.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:08 AM »

Well I have heard back from my friend and it's the same story as usual; the one where they didn't find anything.

But one thing I did find out was that his Dad is a donor and a member of the RTC. I asked my friend if he knew of any half-siblings he has, but he doesn't. I'm trying to get him to look into that and see what turns up. Smiley

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 11:41:57 AM »

The University of WA Archives area has very helpful people. They sent me a list of medical graduates from 1976-1978 (they apparently don't have enrolments), and this is a big list too, with no guarantee that any of them are donors.

I am now not sure what I could use this list for other than to verify anyone who comes forward that they graduated in that time.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 10:34:05 PM »

Hi Adam,

I know what you mean. Looking at the 6 years of medical students that were enrolled here in Adelaide when I was "donated" gives about 600 men (from graduation records).
Sure you can certainly cross off many names (eg of ethnic origin that do not fit), but it still leaves 500 plus.
And while even if you do know things like a donors blood group and then can use that to narrow down to a percentage of that population, you have no idea which people you can cross off of the list.
I wonder if the clinic or anyone else can help you narrow it down? eg. did they recruit from all the years? or did they only recruit those that would have been in their obstetrics year?
Is there a year book that you can see pictures of to help narrow it down. I know Sydney had them but Adelaide did not.
Maybe even some student publications???

Cheers
Damian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: