Australian Donor Conception Forum
December 15, 2018, 05:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The West - Can You Help?  (Read 7868 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »

Hello,

I don't read the paper much but since I have been sitting in hospital with my wife and baby I have had the chance to peruse it. Smiley

I noticed in today's (monday) paper that it has a section called "Can You Help?", a section used to try to help locate missing family and that sort of thing. It's free to have your request printed so I thought I'd give it a go. The only thing stopping me at the moment is that I don't want to put my address in there and a mailing address is a requirement for it to be printed.

Anyway, thought I'd make those of you who don't read The West much aware of it.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:23:10 PM »

Hi Adam,

first of all a big congrats on the arrival of your baby. Do you have a name? I hope wife and bub are doing well?

Secondly, I'd give it a go even if it does mean puting your address in there. The way I look at it is that nothing is going to happen unless you do put your name, face and story out there for people to see. Just my 2 cents and I realise that some people may be uncomfortable with doing that sort of thing. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

All the best
Damian
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »

Ooops - maybe I should have checked the "Off-Topic" section first.
Good to hear little Isaac and mum are well.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:46:12 PM »

Congratulations Quinny to you and your wife on the arrival or your little Issac. Lovely name! What about you get yourself a P.O. Box??? Like you I wouldnt have so much of a problem with my face and name out there but it would be nice not to advertise where you live. Grin

Love and Truth go together.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »

Hey I finally got a response from the Can You Help? person, so that is something to smile about. Smiley

Here is what she said though:
"I'm sorry I have not got back to you earlier. I receive a lot of correspondence and it takes awhile to reply.

Unfortunately I would not be able to publish your request in Can You Help? This column is particularly for genealogy, war veterans and reunions.

I am also concerned about legal ramifications caused by publishing the request together with the doctor's name.

If you are happy to go public, ABC-TV has an investigative show on Friday evenings called Can We Help? (Channel 2 6.30pm I think). Their investigators would check out any legal problems before going to air. If you give the station a call they will be able to advise you who to ask for.

I wish you well in your search."

Yeah I know this is about genealogy but it doesn't look like my request will be published even if I did remove the Dr's name. If it were removed there wouldn't be any way to link a donor to me via the written word.

But on that Can We Help? on ABC, has anyone tried contacting them? I know they had that guy on a while ago to meet up with his Dad.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:27:02 PM by Quinny » Logged

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »

Hi Adam,

I know that it was bandied about by some other donor offspring but nobody tried it. So it is definately worth a go if your up to it. What's the worse thing that can happen? That they say no we won't do it?

Cheers
Damian
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:45:17 PM »

Go for it Quinny and good luck!

Love and Truth go together.
bundygrrrl

bundy_has_spoken
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:30:51 AM »

just letting you know, can we help is shot here in the ABC studios on th Perth foreshore. my friend used to work in the cafe and spoke to one of the presenters. apparently they are pretty limited aswel, maybe the legal issues. but they say the best thing we can do is research the universities and any information given to us and look at faces in graduation photos etc. not really much more than we already knew, but hey. now you know that the can we help avenue has been attempted.

wow,it only gets harder and more disheartening..
girlbaby41

'Aint I cute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 07:02:25 AM »

I tried the can we help in the West as well and got the same response.  Good luck if you go the ABC way.

Single mum with 1 daughter conceived through IVF with donor sperm from Concept Fertility Clinic in 2006
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: