Australian Donor Conception Forum
December 18, 2018, 09:52:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I..........  (Read 8101 times)
AllyRose

Mum to one son

triciabougoure@hotmail.com
View Profile
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:32:08 AM »

format a letter/list of questions to put to the scientist (woman) who runs the donor sperm list/catalogue/library at my clinic - to ask her for details on Jacob's possible siblings and who they (QFG) have shared his donor with.

I was shocked to find out when in Sydney on 18/11/06 that QFG send/sell off their sperm to other states in Aust - apparently namely Syd IVF/IVFA.

I know I am entitled (as per the info on 18/11/06) under the RTA guides to know this info, but how to I ask for it politely?

I have been given a very detailed 5 page information pack of non-identifying info on our donor - was actually surprised at how indepth it was.

But I need help on drafting a letter/email to ask for this extra info and what to reply with if they refuse - even though I was lead to believe I am entitled to know how many siblings "are out there" and "who they share/sell their sperm to".

I appreciate your patience.
RoseW.A.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »

Hi, I would be interested in this too. I have drafted my letter to Repromed in S.A. and they said over the phone - no - won't give it - have to write to Uni of Adelaide (who just sold Repromed). But I was told I could know number of siblings - I got really different information depending on who I talked to.
But I am going to ignore that phone response and put it in writing - so that I get a response in writing and then I have somewhere to work from.
I was trying to figure out about tone - do I give them quotes from guidelines and sound confident or sound gratefully ingratiating?  Cheers, Rose

Looking for half siblings of Repromed Donor DZ who also donated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in S.A.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 05:38:58 PM »

I also struggle with what "slant" to put on the writing on correspondence to these sorts of places. So far I have gone with the polite and inquiring type of letter. I believe that being polite will get a better response. Having said that, I am very tempted to write a more demanding and upset sort of letter. That could either work for or against me and I don't want that risk since I feel that they hold all the cards.
Write your letter as nicely as possible and say that you are just after answers to your questions. There's no reason for the scientist or clinic to respond in a negative way. Hopefully. Smiley

All you need to ask about are the half-siblings. I am not sure that asking the clinic who they shared the donations with will be forthcoming. I know Hursty tried this with a clinic here in Perth and they wouldn't tell her but apparently the donor can find out.

Here's a bit of a sample of a letter I wrote:
<letter date>

To whom it may concern,

I start off with a few paragraphs about myself and in what way I am related to the donor conception area.

I only found out a few years ago that I was conceived using donor sperm and I am seeking information about my donor. I have joined the Donor Conception Support Group (DCSG) and have signed up with the Voluntary Register.

Unfortunately the Voluntary Register has had no luck in tracking down any records of my donor.

My parents, <parents names>, went through <clinic> and were consulted by <doctor>.  Any help you can give me with the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

Then my list of questions, may not be relevant to you but may give you some ideas.

If there were records of some sort kept, were they ever lost or destroyed to your knowledge?

Would it have been possible to supply sperm from the same donor if my parents wished to have a child by the same man years later?

While I would like to find out who my donor is, I am also interested to know if there are any other children from the same donor. Do you know if there were any records of this kept?

Would it be possible to find out the medical history of my donor?

Conclusion and thanks

I understand that this was a long time ago and that these details may no longer exist. I would be grateful for any information that you can provide or any suggestions as to where I could obtain further information.

Thankyou for your time and understanding.

Sincerely,

Adam Quinlivan

Email:
Ph#:
Mob#:
Address:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 05:40:35 PM by Quinny » Logged

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
AllyRose

Mum to one son

triciabougoure@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 01:00:37 AM »

Thanks Quinny - I appreciate your help.
Daven
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:09:51 AM by Fiona » Logged
RoseW.A.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »

Hi and thanks for asking TriciaB and thanks for sample Quinny.
Here is my draft letter...critical feedback welcome from all and sundry.
I kept it short (one page only so second page doesn't get lost). Cheers, Rose

Medical Director
Repromed Adelaide
80 Fullarton Road
Dulwich, South Australia 5065

16/04/07

To whom it may concern,

In 2004 I came over to Repromed from Western Australia to undertake IVF treatment (with Aneuploidy Screening) using your donor program (Donor Code DZ) which resulted in the happy birth of my son ________, born on  _______ in Perth.

I intend to be totally honest with my son about his origins and look to give him as much information as I can, as soon as he is able to understand it. To this end I have been proactive in seeking information about our donor and any half-siblings whom are the result of our donor’s samples.
I have joined the Donor Conception Support Group (DCSG), have signed up for the Western Australian Voluntary Registry and a number of donor conception forums and world-wide online registries in Australia and overseas.

It was pleasing to read Repromed’s statement that “Repromed is required to consider the welfare of any child born as a result of assisted reproductive technology, which includes gamete donation….[and]…the welfare of children is considered of paramount importance…[and] where infertility treatment involves the use of gamete donation, current opinion suggests that children should be informed of their biological origins and that secrecy in this area may have an adverse impact on family relationships.] http://www.repromed.com.au/article.php?articleID=77&content=4&page_num=0 
And so, I would like to request if I am able, to have access to non-identifying information about any half-siblings created; number born, sex or any other information that is available to me.

I would also like to ensure that on my file is consent for identifying information to be provided to any requesting families of those half-sibling children created using our donor.

Thankyou for your time and understanding, I know you place my son’s best interests at the forefront of any decisions made.
Yours sincerely,

Looking for half siblings of Repromed Donor DZ who also donated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in S.A.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 09:06:21 AM »

Sounds like a good letter to me, Rose.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 11:02:44 PM »

Hi Rose,

nice letter. Being in SA and having dealings with Repromed in the past I would be very interested in the response that you receive.

All the best
Damian
ausbrit

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 02:45:30 PM »

Hi there,

I personally don't see the point in being polite any longer.  I have been ignored by the QFG with my requests for information and feel politeness hasn't worked for me.

I find it unbelievable that there is no law guaranteeing anonymity for my donor, nor were there any contractual arrangements to guarantee this, yet the QFG feel they have the right to withhold my genetic information.  It's appalling and reprehensible!

Donor's have assisted in a very noble cause, that of bringing happiness to couples wanting a family, however to refuse even basic information to an offspring of this program is unjust and not fitting the noble endeavour pursued.  Whilst there are advocates for the 'stolen generation' where are they for the donor generation? 

I wish any donor luck with discovering information regarding their genetic parentage, I hope they have more success that I through the Qld Fertility Group.

Kind regards
Nathan Hall
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »

Hi Nathan,

I truly understand where you are coming from, but I try and get people to either change their viewpoint or see my way of thinking through meaningful discourse as being arguementative and angry seems to close peoples minds off a lot faster. But maybe anger and frustration are what we need to exhibit to finally be heard.
>Whilst there are advocates for the 'stolen generation' where are they for the donor >generation?
So true, and you would have thought that the govts would have learnt from trauma suffered by adoptees.

Good luck with your quest,
Damian. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: