Australian Donor Conception Forum
October 20, 2018, 10:22:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IVF Australia Donor SibLinks  (Read 4101 times)
dadams

View Profile Email
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »

For anyone who used or knows of people who went through IVF Australia:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/program-to-help-sperm-donation-offspring-to-track-any-siblings/story-e6freuzi-1226326497378
They will give out non-identifying details of other donated siblings now to help remove the problem of potential consanguineous relationships.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:51:03 PM »

Definitely a step in the right direction. I hope this is expanded to include everyone who wants to join, not just IVF Australia people.

Maybe that's something we could set up Damian?

Given that we know the media doesn't exactly quote a person I'd still like to comment on this (emphasis mine):

Professor Peter Illingworth said: "Concern among donor sperm parents is their child might in the future unknowingly meet a half sibling and as a result of that get into an incestuous relationship.

"The risk of this is extraordinarily low, however, but nonetheless it is something which concerns parents a great deal."

How do you know, Peter? How can you possibly know that the risk is "extraordinarily low"?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:45:42 AM »

Adam, if we can get the recommendations for the senate inquiry through and if we get the legislation for retrospectivity in Vic then hopefully we wont need to do this ourselves.
I've spoken about the risks in other venues before.
What they usually do is just look at the risk of 2 people in any given population meeting and forming a relationship.
However it doesn't take into account all of the intangibles (that many offspring from the same donor may have similar likes and dislikes thereby perhaps moving in similar circles, they will generally be from a defined geographic area, and typically if through IVF of a demographic - they need to be able to afford to pay for treatment, that people are often attracted to similar individuals etc). All of these things INCREASE the chances but are things we can't calculate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: