Australian Donor Conception Forum
December 18, 2018, 04:48:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Past Donor from Sydney  (Read 4743 times)
Raglan

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:03:01 AM »

I'm a donor from Sydney, having donated from about 1983 to 1990. Two of my offspring have been in regular contact with me, via the clinic, as the hospital had my details recorded towards the end of my donations. I have put my details on the NSW Health Central Register if any other offspring wish to contact me for medical history etc. I am wondering if there are any other steps I should take to enable other offspring to access this information? I gather that there is no such thing as a DNA register in NSW?
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »

Hi Raglan,
welcome to the forum.
That's great that you have had regular contact with two of your offspring.
Other registries you might like to try are the Australian Donor Conception Registry (a Yahoo group)
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AustralianDonorConceptionRegistry/
The AMFOR registry (even though it says Americans For in the title there are Aussies registered on there)
http://www.amfor.net/DonorOffspring/
and there is also the Donor Sibling Registry (but this one costs money while the other two are free)
https://www.donorsiblingregistry.com/
Currently there are no DNA databases here in Australia for this. The only governmental one of its kind in the world is UK DonorLink (but it is my opinion that the DNA tests for this type of matching is flawed).
A better DNA analysis that can be done is the FamilyFinder test from FamilyTreeDNA. Also on FamilyTreeDNA we do have a group set-up for donor conceived people and donors. Another test that can be taken through the same company is the Y-DNA test but this will only be helpful for male offspring. I have taken both tests myself to try and find out what information I can about my paternity.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Cheers
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »

Hello and welcome Raglan.

It's great to hear from donors on here. Do you know how many offspring you have through donating?

Cheers,
Quinny

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Raglan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »

Well, that's an interesting question. I don't want to bore you with detail, but the answer might be interesting to some. I donated over quite a long period, some 6 years, donating every month or so. It was only when the AIDS epidemic raised its' head, about half way through donating, that the doctor at the clinic interviewed me and recorded my family & medical history etc. They would have known my name before that, but that's about all. Towards the end of my donating I asked about offspring, and they told me 8 had been born, 5 girls & 2 boys, which seemed a bit low considering how long I had been donationg, but so be it. In 2000 after reading articles about offspring wanting details about the donors, I wrote to the clinic offering to provide further non-identifying information in case any offspring asked, then I was told I had 4 offspring, all girls. I am left with the impression that their record-keeping in the early days, in my case circa 1983-1988, was pretty poor. Hence my question about DNA, so I can satisfy myself that I've done all I can do to enable any offspring to be fully informed.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »

Hi Raglan
your experience about being given differing information depending on who you talked to and when you talked to them is not unusual, which is a rather large blight on those keeping the records and disseminating the information. And they wonder why some people don't trust the clinics anymore.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:30 AM »

Thanks for the update Raglan. I am also on FamilyTreeDNA (you can see my discussion with Damian in the Genetic Geneology thread: http://australiandonorconceptionforum.org/index.php?topic=217.0) and haven't had much luck but I think this is currently the front-runner to use for those of us searching via DNA.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
connie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »

Hi Raglan
Its great to see a donor trying to get their information out there.
I was wondering however at which hospital/clinic did you donate to?
I have 2 children conceived with donor sperm at the Royal Hosp. for Women in 1982 & 1985. They were conceived by different donors and we are still searching.
All the best in your search, it is great that you have already made some contacts.
Raglan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 05:11:49 AM »

connie,

I began donating at the RHW at Paddington in about 1983. As I can best recall, a Dr Bosch was running the clinic, but I don't remeber if he was running it at the start, but he was later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: