Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 17, 2018, 11:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ANZICA Donor Linking Symposium, Melbourne Dec 2011  (Read 4938 times)
dadams

View Profile Email
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »

DONOR LINKING SYMPOSIUM

Dec 4/11. 9:30am-5:00pm. $110.00
Crown Conference Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Open to the general public & health professionals
Info: http://www.humanreproduction2011.com/associated-meetings/anzica/

PROGRAM:

International Perspectives
* Why donor linking matters: Wendy Kramer, Donor Sibling Registry (USA)
* What the research tells us about donor linking: Dr Vasanti Jadva & Dr Tabitha Freeman, Centre for Family Research, University of Cambridge (UK)

Australian Perspective
* Donor legislation in Australia and recommendations of the Senate Inquiry into Donor Conception Practices: Dr Sonia Allan, Deakin University Law Faculty, Global Health Law Fellow, Georgetown University Law Centre,
Washington, DC
* The Victorian model & experiences: Louise Johnson, CEO, Victorian Assisted Reproductive Authority
* Rules of engagement - Considerations when initiating contact: Kate Bourne, Chair, Australia & New Zealand Infertility Counsellors Association

Donor Linking Stories
* When the doors are closed: Damian Adams (donor-conceived person)
* Mates: Roger (donor) & Riley (donor-conceived person)
* Mothers Club - 3 families linked: Kerrie & Anna (mothers of donor-conceived children)
* Sibling contact: Ryan (donor-conceived person)

Closing remarks: Caroline Lorbach, Donor Conception Support Group of Australia

Presented by:
* the Australian & New Zealand Infertility Counsellors Association
* Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority
* Donor Conception Support Group of Australia
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »

This looks like a great event! Not that I'll be able to go to Melbourne then though. Will this be recorded?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:02:57 AM »

Not sure.
Would have to ask Kate Bourne.
Do you have her contact details?
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »

Found her contact details here:
http://www.fertilitysociety.com.au/anzica/membership/

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »

This event is on this Sunday.
I am really looking forward to it.
There will also be the Vic Law Reform Committees hearing on the monday as well.
And a fertility conference currently underway and finishing on saturday (I will be going along on the sat).
It will be a big weekend.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »

Awesome! Keep us updated. Smiley

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »

What a FULL ON weekend.
I met up with some donor conceived friends, recipient parents and adoptees for a dinner on Friday night which was fantastic.
On Saturday I attended the World Congress on Human Reproduction.
Lauren Burns (donor conceived woman in Melbourne who has located her biological father) and her mother Barbara presented at a session.
They were both fantastic, marvelous presentation and they both answered all of teh questions thrown their way. The session was mainly attended by counsellors but also some clinicians and nurses.
The Kramers (from the DSR) also presented in the morning on their experiences in running the DSR and some of the research they had been involved with.
On the Sunday it was the Donor Linking Symposium. Starting off Trish Crossin spoke about how the Federal Inquiry got under way. Then Wendy Kramer spoke in the morning, followed by Prof ken Daniels, Dr Sonia Allan (on the legal situation currently in Australia), Louise Johnson from varta and Kate bourne also from varta (they discussed how things operated in Vic in regards to donor linking and counselling).
In the afternoon it was those people who were directly involved in DC.
I kicked it off with what can happen when there is no information access. Roger and Riley spoke after me (they are a donor and offspring who have been successfully linked), followed by a couple of SMC mums who talked about their experiences of linking with other families who used the same donor and the relationship they had with the (they used the analogy of the Brady Bunch). Finally Caroline Lorbach from the DCSG gave a talk about current and past situations and was a great book end to the days discussions. Unfortunately there was no time for questions but we managed to talk with several people afterwards.
On Monday we had the Law Reform Commission hearings. These were excellent. I felt that they listened intently and asked really good questions.
Those presenting that I can recall, was Prof Ken Daniels, Paul Ruff (a donor), Romana and Barbara (both recipient parents) followed by myself and Kim (donor conceived). Only time will tell to see what recommendations if any they will make, but we certainly made an impression.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »

Sounds really good Damian!

Sounds like it was a really busy time but well worth going to.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: