Australian Donor Conception Forum
October 19, 2018, 09:46:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perth girl using known sperm donor  (Read 5408 times)
~BecD~

View Profile Email
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:13:42 AM »

Hi all, just came across the boards from a LTTC site.
My husband and I have had 12 rounds of ivf and are know pursuing donor sperm to continue our ivf treatment. We originally had an anonymous donor through our clinic, but recently a workmates approached us with the offer to be a known donor. So we are currently in the three month mandated counseling period

Planning to go thru ivf in June/July Again
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »

Hi Bec
welcome to the forum.
I am a bit concerned that you said that your clinic was using an anonymous donor as that should have officially stopped in 2004 with the NH&MRC guidelines. So no clinic should have been using anaonymous gametes since that time (unless they were using up older stock - but that seems like too long ago to be still using up stock, especially when they always say they have a shortage). Technically they shouldn't get accreditation from RTAC and not be practicing if they are doing so.
Anyway, good luck with your path.
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:44:59 PM »

Welcome BecD,

I'm glad to hear that you are using a known donor. I wish you good luck.

Damian, isn't the law here (Perth) now that the donor child will find out who the donor is when they turn 18? I thought it was. So yes it does seem strange that they would use an anonymous donor, especially if they have the counselling period.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »

Hi Adam
all clinics in Aus have to be accredited by RTAC. Which is run by the Fert Soc of Aus (FSA). RTAC uses the NH&MRC guidelines which are dated 2004. In those guidelines it say that only donors willing to be identified once the child has reached the age of 18 can be used (I assume that there was a grace period to use up old stocks though). So yes this should technically not be happening.
If they are using anonymous donors they are breaching the conditions that they are allowed to operate in, and could have their licence revoked if a serious breach occurs.
Daven
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:18:24 AM by Fiona » Logged
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:12:44 PM »

Good point Fiona.
The terminology used can cause confusion.
I hope that this is the case with the clinic and not the other possibility.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: