Australian Donor Conception Forum
August 15, 2018, 03:00:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Triple J - Hack - Thursday 17-Feb-2011, 5:30pm  (Read 7053 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:58:21 AM »

Triple J's Hack program is going to be about the Federal Inquiry into donor conception on Thursday, 17-Feb-2011 at 5:30pm your local time. If you listen online it will be earlier if you are not in the eastern states and you'll be able to try and call in.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:22:49 AM »

thanks for the heads up
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:45:18 AM »

I told Irene to contact you, I gave her your email address. Did she contact you? They wanted a donor conceived person to go into the studio live to answer questions. I am not able to go but I am doing a phone question bit today. Bundygrrrl is going to go but I don't think she wants to do it live so hers will be pre-recorded.

Let me know if you want to give Irene a call and arrange to go into the Adelaide studio for this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:18:13 PM by Quinny » Logged

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:08:31 AM »

Nope I hadn't heard maybe she has enough people.
If you want, PM or email me the details and I can call her.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:20:02 AM »

PM'd her contact details.

I just had a phone interview with John Barrington. I started losing my voice because I am getting over a cold. Anyway I spoke for a few minutes, not sure if they'll use any of it though.

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:00:22 AM »

They didn't put my bit on there but I heard yours Damian. It was good.

I wonder if Riley (the first guy on there) will change his mind about donating when he has his own kids, like you did, Damian. Smiley

bev

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »

yes Damian you came across well
story + mp3 on the Hack website now
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/stories/s3141788.htm
they also give a link to the senate inquiry report
cheers, Bev
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »

Thanks for that Adam and Bev.
I was wondering where yours was Adam. Would have been nice to have other views.
Yes I think Riley needs to wait till he has his own kids first.
In fact I think all donors should wait until they have their own children so that they have a better idea about what it is that they are doing.
I am really ropable at the moment. The woman clinician from Canberra (forget her name) lead the listener to believe that anonymity was still being practice and that donor numbers will drop if anonymity ended. So either she is bold faced lying and deceiving the public (because NHMRC guidelines in 2004 stipulate only known donors are to be used) or she is in breach of the guidelines.
bev

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:34 AM »

yes I found that rather annoying as well
I think it was in the context that if anon donors are not used then there will be a shortage of available donors and this will cause hardship for fertility patients - that old stupid chestnut! I was hoping we had well and truly moved on to the point where if a donor wishes to be anonymous then they are NOT a suitable donor, and it is by far better to have a waiting list for treatment than to have anonymous uncontactable donors

I was disappointed in the Monash guy who said that a National Register was a good idea - hooray I thought, this is good, but no, he went on  - so that a single donor could be used for more families without increasing the risk of consanguinity. The reason for a Register is to allow donors, kids and siblings to link with other if they wish.

Bev
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:26:08 AM by hoist » Logged
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »

After listening again, it's actually the interviewer, John Barrington, who says the bit about banning anonymity and he attributes it to Simone. So she may have said that, or she may not have said that, but certainly John said it!

I guess they couldn't use what I said or didn't have time or my voice was really worse than I thought. Smiley

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »

Thanks Adam, I have shifted house and my internet is so slow that I couldn't listen to it again.
I'll contact triple J to find out what went on (ie did Simone actually say it).
Funny thing about Rileys responses is that is exactly what I would have said when I was 21. I was extremely close to donating as well.

Bev, I couldn't agree more. Some of these clinicians just miss the point altogether. It is like they were oblivious to the reasoning behind the recommendations, as well as research in the field.
Kimmy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 04:30:28 AM »

Damian, you spoke really well  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: