Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 17, 2018, 11:07:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advertising in SA newspapers  (Read 5800 times)
RoseW.A.

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:14:19 AM »

Hi, Repromed S.A. have now passed me over to the Uni to negotiate with re contacting the donor because they were bought by another group and my donor didn't return his new contact sheet. (see my post in introduction for full story). GIven I am assuming they will say "our data is old so the donor's contact agreement is old"...get lost. I am thinking of writing something in the main paper The Advertiser, but a S.A. person has advised me The Adelaide Review or The Independent Weekly might be better.
I am not sure whether to just do a public notice type advertisement, a letter to the editor or ask for an article to be written.
Any advice in general or south aussies agree with above advice?
Ta, Rose

Looking for half siblings of Repromed Donor DZ who also donated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in S.A.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 08:38:16 AM »

hi Rose,

Just wondering why you don't want to try your luck with the Uni first?

cheers,
Quinny

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 09:04:56 PM »

Hi Rose
Admire what you are trying to do.  :)In my experience an article has worked every time as its usually in the first few pages that people read and not everyone reads the classifieds. Only thing is with an article they usually want a photo of some sort as well and its weighing up the pro's and con's of that for yourself and your child and if you are prepared to be that "out there". We did it and have never had any negative feedback whatsoever - in fact very much the opposite. I think with articles it also keeps the public and the people who rule and govern our laws that issues are here that need to be dealt with. On the other hand we did try all legal avenues first to have contact with our doner before we did the media so maybe try the uni first where like you say you will probably get no-where but at least its a trail that you will have to back you up when you do an article.
Wish you best of luck and will be waiting to hear of your outcome.
Regards
Sue Smiley

Love and Truth go together.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »

Hi Rose,
an artcile is definately best as Sue mentions. My opinion as an Adelaidean is that the Advertiser is best purely because it has the largest reader base. BUT and it is a big but, is getting them to publish it. One journo did an article on me (even did the photo shoot), but it did not get published. Why? I would not be surprised if the have an agenda. They publish artciles on the lack of sperm donors every year but do not publish any articles that would lead on or counteract this.
The Independent Weekly is also a good choice. I managed to get them to cover that story and I could give you the name of that chap if you wish.
I do no know much about the Adelaide Review.
All said and done I would try the Advertiser first and then work down from there.
Good luck and I'll help as much as I can if you need it.
Cheers
Damian.
RoseW.A.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 04:24:30 AM »

Hi to all of you and thanks for this advice.
I am trying the Uni first but I like to be prepared and forward plan and this stuff always takes me ages to put together and re-edit and then I have time to improve rather than be unprepared and be caught "on the hop".
By Repromed's response, I gather I am the first to ask after the takeover and so the procedures are all fuzzy.
When I looked up the role of the name I have been given to email to, it says she is the manager of the The Records Management Office. I am thinking of writing a proper snail mail letter so I get a formal written reply; sometimes email can be so informal.
On one hand I want contact but on the other I suppose I want higher ups in line management to understand those files are not just plain old archived information but deeply personal stuff that I didn't have a proplem with my clinic having but not sure if I want a University housing in its archives. As someone who works for a uni part-time, I know how records are so easliy viewed by all and sundry.
I will explore them first and then maybe the South Australian Council on Reproductive Technology.
I have been told that Repromed had no choice re the old data and it is a law so I
want to check this out - which law says this?
So after the uni I will contact this council and see what they say.

I feel a bit stuck - on one hand I do not want to cheez off Repromed or the Uni cause they are the "powerbase" re getting contact but on the other hand I now realize this has all been handled poorly.

Also I think it is not true for a clinic to assume just cause a contact sheet wasn't returned necessarily means that a donor doesn't want contact. (Given my form went tomy neighbour's house by mistake). Now I think, #### could they have sent registered letters to make sure these forms got to their destination? Couldn't they ask for a return sheet or something that says "no - I don't want contact."

Anyway - this is my plan so far. Thanks for all your advice - I really appreciate it.

Looking for half siblings of Repromed Donor DZ who also donated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in S.A.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 05:16:44 AM »

Without looking at the legislation for it myself I would imagine that the Repro Technology Act 1988 (viewable online) would have some stipulation about the clinic keeping records for a certain number of years. I'm sure they were just able to pull a swifty by stating that they are no longer the same clinic and as previously it was owned by the uni then the uni needs to keep the records.
It's just their way of not having to deal with the issue.
It's probably bought about by myself asking them questions that they did not wish to spend the time answering.
(eg do I have any siblings from further donations? and when they didn't answer I aksed if they couldn't or wouldn't tell me - still no reply. And I also enquired about how records were archived and their ability to match donors to offspring when they wanted contact)
There is just no money in it for them to provide this service to previous users.
tkpalmeri

Mother of 2 children from sperm donor #143 at QFG

tkpalmeri@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »

Hi Rose,

I have two children to a Queensland Donor.  Apparently some of his donation was sent to Adelaid University, now known as Repromed and apparently a child was conceived.  I have been in contact with both to try and obtain some more info on the donor to compare what I already have and I had been trying to find out about the child and/or see if they would contact the mother on my behalf to see if she would like contact.  BUT I haven't been getting anywhere.  If you went to the papers I might consider doing that aslo as I would love to get my story out there and see if the mother would like contact with me....Please keep us updated on what you decide and how things go,,,,,good luck!!!!
Kim

Mother of 2 children from sperm donor #143 QFG.  Would like to make contact with donor and other siblings/parents. Donor was musician Dipl Audio Engineering, was born 1969. More info on in QLD section.  My children too love music. Daughter plays piano & clarinet. Son wants to learn guitar.
RoseW.A.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »

Hiya,
I found the most approachable person at Repromed to be the counsellor Anne Graham.
She might be woth emailing. Tomorrow I will go through all my old emails about this as there was a lot ot tooing and froing between Repromed and Adelaide Uni who now own all the old records. I think I was also going to write to the SA Reproductive COuncil and see what they say.
As you may have not read in another thread, we have met our donor by chance but I am keen for sibling contact but given they lost my donor's letter saying he wanted contact, I don't have faith that they may have kept any info given by the siblings who might welcome contact also. I will look tomorrow and get back to you.
Rose

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »

Interesting! Wish you lots of luck.
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
nmkg

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 04:00:52 AM »

I didn't even think of donor samples getting mixed up. That's another good reason to add. Thanks.

----------------------------

2012 Gafas Sol Ray Ban
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: