Australian Donor Conception Forum
October 24, 2018, 02:24:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Federal Inquiry  (Read 18952 times)
bev

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 02:21:36 AM »

My submission is up - number 72

There are so many astounding stories on there, so many that have made me cry. I just hope that this is something that FINALLY gets the message through to politicians that rights of the donor-conceived are sadly lacking and need fixing

Bev

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:54:43 PM by hoist » Logged
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 03:23:40 AM »

the report was tabled today
it is available on line through the same link
Daven
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 03:44:02 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:18:48 AM by Fiona » Logged
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »

I like the recommendations. I am quite surprised by it actually.

I especially like recommendations 3, 12 and 13. I am really REALLY surprised by recommendation 17!

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »

A lot of those were the ones I was pushing for so nice to see them get up.
There should hopefully be a lot of good come out of this and it is a landmark event in DC in the world.
However, I think for some of us that were pushing for more (and backed up with good ethical and legal arguments, as well as what appeared to be majority support in the public submissions) that there is a bit of a let down that it wasn't better.
So to be honest I am a bit deflated (although not surprised).
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »

What did you miss out on?

I thought it would be more aligned with clinics so it's good to see that it isn't.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »

By reading the submissions there was a majority support for retrospective access to identifying info. Even Monash IVF put in their support for it which was a major shock. The precedence for it lies in adoption (even though not universal) and in other areas. Many people don't realise that privacy never has and never will be absolute in Australia, it is regularly overturned in the courts particularly when the welfare of the child is taken into account.
By now having one rule for one group and one for the others the governemnt is then open to discrimination proceedings based on age.
The ban for payments is complexing because they are still allowing "re-imbursements". Lets just call a spade a spade. It is a financial transaction, money changes hands. It is like drawing a distinction between a tax and a levy (which is based on legal semantics) but for the average Joe it is still money leaving their pockets. With some clinics saying that they pay around $100 it is easy to for a bloke to rack up a few thou. If that is not inducement to donate and belittle the altruistic factor I don't know what is.
There is also no clause for getting updated medical histories periodically. While obtaining it would be problematic at least an attempt should be made.
On the whole though it is very positive and very child centric. It just falls over at the last hurdle for me, and from the above the desires of adults involved in the past are still allowed to hold sway.
It is a bit like saying that they can't do anything about the past and will only look at the future.
I am sure there are many on here that will probably disagree with me but that is my 2 cents.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 12:53:09 AM »

In regards to the retrospective part I hadn't considered that as I assume there is no info about my donor in any records. I know that is not the case for everybody and if I knew that a clinic had that info I would be doing everything to get it.

I think that if they get the DNA register set up that is about as good as I can hope for.

I also was confused about the payments, not sure why they allowed that either.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 02:21:56 AM »

I imagine that the DNA database/register will mirror the UK DonorLink one as that is what was referenced and also the only current one being implemented.
But I have serious concerns about using the CODIS markers for this type of matching in a random database. So it will be interesting to see what form it may take.
bev

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 02:20:02 AM »

the senate inquiry report has made it into Bionews

http://www.bionews.org.uk/page_89749.asp?dinfo=AJw9KQgM4bkFoH5VJjyHSSpz

mentions the reimbursements issue and fwiw I recently heard on the grapevine that Repromed in Adelaide have recently announced ceasing all 'reimbursements' to donors including for travel or parking or time lost from work etc, for both egg and sperm donors, only actual medical costs are covered.

Bev
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 05:16:52 AM »

Hi Bev
yes that is the article I wrote.
I might have to get into contact with repromed and see what they say re the reimbursements. That is very interesting.
For sperm donors I can't see that there would be any medical costs. Egg donation would be quite different obviously.
bev

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »

lol Damian that's actually pretty funny, I didn't even look at the author
Should have known why it was so well written  Cool

I think medical costs means stuff like blood tests and sperm testing etc, you're right, must be much less than for egg donors with the whole IVF thing

Cheers, Bev
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: