Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 19, 2018, 03:16:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddened and disappointed  (Read 2552 times)
AllyRose

Mum to one son

triciabougoure@hotmail.com
View Profile
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »

I know I haven't posted on here for a long time but rest assured I read this forum at least twice a week but...

I am really upset with QFG Brisbane. 

As some of you may know my husband and I have a son conceived via DI through QFG...when I fell pregnant with said son we were given 10 vials to pay for freezing to use for future offspring...well so far none have worked and I have 4 vials left.

There has been in the media over last 8 months that QFG was for sale...Well they must have sold because my freezing costs have gone from $150 per six months to $225 per six months.

I know to some that may not be much but we aren't rich-we struggle like most families do but OH MY F****** GOD - this is like a 50% increase!!!!

and they had the hide to send a letter with this invoice to say if I use my vials in the next 2 months from date of letter (18 May) then I wont have to pay the invoice - OH MY F****** GOD!!!  who the F*** do they think they are!!!

I had pretty much resigned myself to only having my son - I am 40 in November and am in a good place in life/home/work etc and even if I was to get pregnant that baby would be welcome but after receiving this BULL**** from QFG, its made me feel like I should be going back and using the vials up just for the hell of it...because of the price hike.

I was at a stage where I was happy to keep paying the freezing costs cause those vials were mine - yes bit selfish I know - don't lecture me....but with this f****** price hike - I honestly feel like, for the first time, a piece of meat!!!

QFG and its doctors used to be about their patients but since this has been/or is still up for sale its the almighty f****** $$$$ in the eyes of the founding doctors/scientists of this practice.

I have shown my husband this invoice and expressed my thoughts/feelings to him - even the fact that other parents at my son's school are putting the "guilts" on me for him being an only child.....OH MY F***** God - whole other story don't get me started.

BAsically, I am approaching 40 - am in a good place with work, I never wanted to have just one child because I was one myself - and there are a whole lotta other factors to weigh in like bad post natal depression/anti depressants - you get the picture.....but OH MY F****** GOD.

but how come a simple increase in the price of freezing 4 tiny vials of sperm has me in such a really really really bad mood.

I am just really p***** off at such a huge price increase!!!

it breaks my heart.

Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:00:30 AM »

Hi AllyRose,

That is quite an increase.

Sounds like you have some tough decisions ahead and I hope it all works out well for you.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:23:46 AM »

Hi AllyRose

you've just highlighted another reason why I don't like the clinics.
In this day and age it is the almighty dollar that drives these practices.
Reproductive treatment is BIG business and whenever big business is involved, the human side of things get left behind.
It would be interesting to know if there has been a huge price hike in the cost of liquid nitrogen lately. Because other than the cost of topping up the liquid nitrogen and rental on the building within which the liquid nitrogen dewars are stored, there is not a lot of other costs involved. You fill them up and leave them until you need to top up again (I know, I keep cell stocks in liquid nitrogen at work).
The sad thing is that the clinics know that the client will pay for it pretty much even if they can't afford it because they have no other option. The extra money they will make from the price rise will more than compensate for the few people that opt not to continue.
Very sad.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: