Australian Donor Conception Forum
November 17, 2018, 10:31:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else a donor offspring from Perth by Dr. Cohen?  (Read 5497 times)
Mark2036

View Profile Email
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:37:06 AM »

Hi all,

Great site. Have recently found out that I may be a product of artificial insemination. My Dad doesn't know I know, and I will likely keep it that way to avoid breaking his heart. However was recently curious to see if I have any half brothers or sisters as I am an only child. Also if I have any genetic issues I may need to consider. Especially since I may have my own children soon.

As I know 1970's there where no real records kept, just wondering if anyone else here may also have had Dr. Cohen help out thier conception. And if so is the doctor still alive? Also I hear he used med students for the donors. Anyone know how to get the list of med students in WA that may have been donors in the late 70s?

Cheers,

Mark
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:37:04 PM »

Welcome Mark,
Quinny is our guy over in Perth, hopefully he will have some information that may be able to help you out.
I don't know if it is because I've been around for a long time in regard to knowing about my conception as well as talking to others about it, but I was always have a hard time when I see people say they don't want to talk about it with their parents in fear of hurting their feelings.
You have feelings too which are equally as important as his. There should hopefully never be any lies or secrets kept as that just erodes the family construct rather than making it more concrete.
However, it is often a situation that most offspring find themselves in and most do feel protective of their parents in this way. It would be much better if all families were more open about these things and willing to discuss and accept everyone's feeling particularly that of the offspring. Although that rarely occurs.
Best wishes in your search and I hope you are able to find some information.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:08:47 AM »

Hi Mark,

Welcome and thanks for joining the site!

Your story sounds similar to my own. I found out when I was 25 and my Dad didn't know that I knew. I couldn't talk to him about it for a long time. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, where I was even mentally prepared to cut off contact with my Dad if it came to that, BUT it was the best thing I did to do to speak to my Dad!
He was very open and understanding and was happy to answer my questions. It was a great relief to me and, to be honest, I think it was a great relief for him to. I wish I had done it sooner.
My Dad passed away a couple of years ago and I am so glad that I had the chance to talk to him about it.

As for Dr Cohen, I think that is the donor doctor that Bundygrrrl's parents used. I don't know if he is still alive.

I'd also recommend you join the Voluntary Register:
http://www.voluntaryregister.health.wa.gov.au

You can get a list of medical graduates in the 1970's from the UWA archives. The ladies there are very happy to help. I have had a look through many years of graduates' photos but did not think any looked like me, or any of the other donor offspring I know.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:13:42 PM by Quinny » Logged

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Mark2036

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:47:07 AM »

Thanks guys for the repsonse and the links Smiley.

I never really was that fussed about the whole thing when I found out. Just happy to be exisiting really regardless of my orgin. Co-incidentally a close family friend of ours also found out around the same time that they were also children from donors. Keely Hall, who I have also coincidentally seen that Bundygrrrl has been trying to contact from facebook Tongue. Keely really went into the search I think, while her sister didn't really care, as I did.

However, guess out of a bit of curiousity it would be interesting to see what my genetic heritage came from. Thanks Quinny, will try and check out the UWA archives next time I'm over in Perth and see if anyone looks like me. Ha, funny that it's the best way we can ever find out anything about it. Pity the donating med students from the 70s(doctors now probably), don't post much to this forum hey.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:11:35 PM by Quinny » Logged
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:27:28 PM »

Hi Mark
I have been a little bit involved with the Keeley Hall case that occured in the UK as some of the people over there asked me for my opinion on what had occured with UK Donorlink.
I am none too impressed with UK Donorlink and am under the impression that they themselves are having trouble grappling with the meaning of results that they get.
They have increased the cut-off point for notification of a match which I am in disagreement with.
For people things change with time. When I was younger I didn't care much but after I had my own kids my whole world changed and my views also.
All teh best
Damian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: