Australian Donor Conception Forum
June 20, 2018, 05:07:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another suggestion  (Read 6896 times)
robynb

Donor recipient

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:38:46 AM »

Guys, I have been thinking about this a bit latey but not sure where to raise it.

I am a sole parent of 2 young DI conceived boys (5 and 2). I am thinking that as they grow up it'd be great for them to have a "buddy" of sorts. That is, for them to get to know older "big brothers" who were also conceived with donor sperm.
Basically, my suggestion is for a "buddy program"... its more a long term goal I guess, but given the ever increasing demand for sperm donors, and hence the need for children to identify with others in their situation, I think its something that will be needed over the coming years.

Not really a website suggestion but not sure where to put this...

Robyn
Mum to 2 DI conceived children
AllyRose

Mum to one son

triciabougoure@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:20:58 PM »

I am all for this idea, but my son is only 2 and a bit so it will be a while before I would utilise this sort of 'service/idea' - but in saying so I agree whole heartedly.

robyn I am in brisbane too - I really think we should 'hook up'
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10:46 PM »

It is an exceptional idea in that donor conceived people do need to speek to other dc people this is without question.
Playing hypotheticals:
But what if the buddy your child gets has views that differ to yours and then your child changes their own view point to be in line with those of the buddy? Would you then be upset?
For example, the buddy believes that donor conception should not exist.
AllyRose

Mum to one son

triciabougoure@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:40:23 PM »

Hypothetically....I doubt that someone who doesn't believe DI should exist would be a buddy in the first place.... just my opinion. Wink
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 03:47:00 AM »

hi TriciaB,

I would say that is likely but I think there are those donor offspring who want to help and support other donor offspring but who also believe it should not exist.

I am not sure how this buddy system would work. Is this like the "Bigger Brother" thing that is on one of The Simpsons episodes?
So does it mean that only males can apply or can there be "big sisters" too?
Or is it a group of "big brothers and sisters" together with a group of the younger ones?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Daven
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 10:41:22 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:03:04 AM by Fiona » Logged
robynb

Donor recipient

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:55:25 PM »

Thanks Fiona for the link - thats exactly it - Big Bro's and Sisters.
I would even see it as a sister pragram to the BB/BS one in so far as you could use their legal infrastructure (guidelines/etc). I would say the issue you have raised would be similar woithin the BB/BS program - ie there would be personal views that BB/BS's should not impart on the children.

Sorry, short reply, gotta get children off to school.

Robyn
robynb

Donor recipient

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:04:30 PM »

OK, so how can we go about this? I might contact BB/BS in Sydney (there is none up here) and ask their advice on how to set something up.

Robyn
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 09:56:44 PM »

Hey guys
This sounds like a great idea for the kids but would'nt this be down the track a little as Jethro is only "almost" 5 and cant write yet - but I love the idea of a safe website where they can chat and talk about stuff and be kids together. I guess some will care and some wont about thier conceptions but support from other "kids" can be of more importance to them than their parents support at certain stages in thier lives and their views on the matter will most definitley change during different stages of their lives - like when they themselves have children for instance. And if nothing else - how many friends is too many?
Let me know what you do please
sue

Love and Truth go together.
Daven
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 10:22:15 PM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:01:53 AM by Fiona » Logged
robynb

Donor recipient

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 06:22:35 AM »

Just what I was going to say Fiona! My son is almost 6 and I expect him to need support from someone who has been there done that in the next year or 2.

Plus, I imagine there will be a multitude of hoops for us to jump thru to get this off the ground, which will probably take at least 2 years.

Robyn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: