Australian Donor Conception Forum
April 21, 2018, 04:09:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Biological Half Siblings  (Read 9478 times)
Hursty

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2007, 01:46:41 AM »

Hi. My name is Sue and I am mother to Jethro concieved with "doner eggs". I have written an annonymous letter asking to be passed on to other "recipients" of the same egg doner which I sent to Pivet Fertility Clinic. They responded saying they would forward this letter on to the Reproductive Technology Council which the Council have said they have not yet recieved from Pivet.
I want all to know that I respect the other recipients privacy if this is what they want but being that these "recipients" recieved these eggs because I advertised for an egg doner and have 2 daughters born from this donation I would dearly love to know if they would consider passing on even unidentifying info to me. Like for instance if they are going to tell their daughters of their conception. If they are going to tell that their daughters have a half sibling brother out there - biologically speaking! If they are going to join the Voluntary Register so as one day when our children are older if they would like to meet each other they have this opportunity. So if you recieved 8 eggs from a female doner at Pivet (we recieved the other 10 eggs) in 2001 and have now 2 daughters would you please give me some answers so as I can give appropriate information to my son as I am bringing him up with knowledge of his biological background - it is working very well for us and I am very relieved that I will not have to sit him down one day "with something to tell him". I am answering questions as they arise and he has a very good understanding. We have also met our egg doner and have been in recent newspaper articles. I would not expect this of the other recipients but would dearly love to know how they feel on the matter and would treat any information with the upmost respect and privacy. If you are this other family reading this your reply will be so very much appreciated.
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »

Sorry to reply to this without any helpful info.

Perhaps it's time for a face-to-face with Pivet? They were meant to send me something as well and I haven't received it yet.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:15:30 AM »

Was speaking to Antonia Clissa only about 4 weeks ago and she said they had not yet recieved my annonymous letter from Pivet to go on file at the register. Now I was told by Pivet in January that this letter would be forwarded to the W.A. register. Pathetic isnt it. Antonia also told me she would send me info on the year the girls were born but not the exact date. I still have not recieved this either. No-one seems to want to help to any extent. Spose I will just have to keep writing letters and phoning or maybe I will even get Steve Butler (my journo) to publish a letter for me in the newspaper. Now that would be different. Seems like the only way to go is "public" if you want to get anywhere.

RoseW.A.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 03:52:01 PM »

Hi Sue, I have been following your story re trying to get Pivet pass on contact.
A friend of mine also with Pivet has been knocked back from passing a thankyou letter to donor and request for contact. Now a couple of other single mum friends with dc children are about to ask Concept, Fertility and Hollywood.
I was telling them about you and just wanted to make sure this is what has happened to you...
You wrote an annonymous letter asking to be passed on to other "recipients" of the same egg doner and sent to Pivet Fertility Clinic.

They responded saying they would forward this letter on to the Reproductive Technology Council to determine if the letter can be sent on to the other recipients - which the Council had said that they have not yet recieved from Pivet.

Then you got a letter from the psychologist saying she had read you letter carefully and believes that it is a matter for the fertility clinics director to decide wheather to pass my annon letter onto the other recipients.

Then you got a letter from the directer of the fertility clinic saying they "appreciate" reasons for wanting to send the letter to the other recipients of Cyntra's eggs but the laws were changed so as doner concieved children could have contact with their biological parent NOT the parents of the other children concieved by another family from the same doner.

Given Health Minister Jim McGinty had the laws changed after you met Cyntra - it changed in that where the parents of these children and the doners wanted to meet they could do so after councilling etc.. if both parties were responsible and wanted the meeting. And yes how do half sibling parents stand if they want to meet each other but the clinic won't accept correspondence from you and so don't know that you both want to meet....

I think I have it right from a legislation post re identifying donors that we in WA are the same in SA in that "While there is no right to access identifying information there is also nothing in the legislation which forbids access to identifying information if all parties consent". But that does or doesn't relate to half siblings as well?

So am right in telling these friends that it is not illegal to have the clinic to pass on letters or request for mutual contact...but it is entirely up to the clinic concerned...and the clinics don't have to be proactive in enabling contact?
Thanks, Rose

Looking for half siblings of Repromed Donor DZ who also donated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in S.A.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 10:52:16 PM »

>I think I have it right from a legislation post re identifying donors that we in WA >are the same in SA in that "While there is no right to access identifying >information there is also nothing in the legislation which forbids access to >identifying information if all parties consent". But that does or doesn't relate to >half siblings as well?

There is not one passage, sentence or word in any of the SA legislation that deals with the issues of half siblings. It is as if they do not exist.
The other problem is that for people like me with "old" records - the clinics would rather not deal with us entirely. I've questioned them about half siblings in the past and I've never gotten a response. And when I question further about whether or not they cannot or will not tell me (a difference between cannot and will not), they also do not respond. One problem with them doing someothing like this is that it may take someone hours or days to do the search through the old paperwork. This is money that they are wasting on something that takes away from their core business that will not bring any returns for them.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 04:24:31 AM »

Hursty, thanks for bringing to light their (Pivet and RTA) lack of motivation. I am surprised by the RTA not responding yet but not by what Pivet hasn't done.

I asked you in another thread if you asked Cyntra to see if she could contact the other offspring from her eggs. Have you asked her? Has she tried? This would be the real test to see if they are dodgy about passing on contact info or not.

Lookingfordz, do you think any of the parents you mentioned could be the ones that Hursty is looking for?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 10:20:38 AM »

Hi there everyone,
Cyntra was filmed joining the voluntary register with SBS. They couldnt film her inside the building so had her wired for audio recording. We'll see what happens.
Now I am fairly certain that there is no legislation on 1/2 siblings and contact in W.A. but "if" this other family who also recieved Cyntra's eggs join the register "one day" then info will be released to Cyntra and visa versa. I still dont quite know where we stand or rather where Jethro stands as far as obtaining info. And I also think that as far as the laws being changed from 18 to 16 - this also will not apply to the "girls" even though they could have been born after the new legislation as they take it from the date of the donation - not the birthdate of the children.
Looking forwardz - I know that it is up to the clinic whether they pass on unidentifying letters to donors/recipients which they will obviously no longer do for me "for obvious reasons" I spose. But if they do (for your friends) and all parties agree they would like to meet and all the donations etc were done "after" 2004 then the meeting will be allowed to go ahead - if the donation was before the law changes then they will be sympathetic but it will be against the law to allow a meeting until the DC child is 18 years of age. Sucks doesnt it.
I am considering asking Steve Butler to place my annonymous letter in the newspaper just for some oomph!!!
Sue

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 04:13:42 AM »

hi Hursty,

So Cyntra was filmed as part of that doco by Madeleine (mentioned in this thread: http://australiandonorconceptionforum.org/index.php?topic=75) or is there another one?

Get your letter in the newspaper! Smiley Just wondering, why do you want your letter to be anonymous?

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 05:57:30 AM »

Yes Quinny - SBS filmed us all down here. They were great. Really lovely people and really understand the issues at hand.
They then did some filming in Perth of Cyntra and some other people. I think the doco is going to be a very interesting and indepth one and it is the same one which is on another thread in here - same Madeleine.
They also interviewed donor concieved adults in Melbourne who I am certain will get the point across. This is all I know of for now.
Only reason I tried to write an "annonymous" letter was because I figured it would be the only way Pivet or RTC would forward it on. (but they wont even do that) It wont be very annonymous if it is published as Madeleine from SBS said they would even supply the photo!!! (nice photos they took while here too)
Apparently it wont be ready to show until around Jan 08.
Hows fatherhood and mother hood treating your household anyway? Hope you are all getting lots of sleep at night by now!!!
Sue

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:38:34 AM »

That's good, glad they filmed some people I know. Smiley I didn't hear anything about them coming to Perth so I don't know if what I told over the phone or mention of this website will be on the show. Look forward to seeing it, hopefully they do some follow up with Cyntra before Jan 2008.

If you're not bothered about being anonymous you could put your letter on this website, for a start. Try the paper and whoever else you can.

Thankyou, Isaac sleeps really well at night, about 8 hours, so it's been really great.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 01:08:53 PM by Quinny » Logged

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »

I will do that Quinny! (put my letter on this site) - now I just have to compose it.
Which topic do you think I should post it under - this one?
I have a copy of the one I sent to Pivet but I think I would like to reword it since Pivet and RTC have not responded to me.
Glad you're all getting a good 8 hrs - makes waking up in the morning easy!!!  Cheesy

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 01:11:36 PM »

I suggest starting a new topic for your letter. This category is ok and the WA one might also be alright.

Look forward to reading them. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: