Australian Donor Conception Forum
December 15, 2018, 06:32:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DNA register  (Read 9860 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »

Hello,

I sent an email to Antonia Clissa from the RTC in WA asking about setting up a DNA register. She responded that she wanted to know more about what I was thinking so that she could best progress the request.

This is what I wrote. I would like people to comment on, add to, constructively criticise, or whatever and I can send the comments on to Antonia.

----------------------------------------------
What I was thinking is to have a government run, or government subsidised DNA testing facility in WA so that people looking for their relatives would have a trusted central location to go to. This would also mean that someone would only need to be tested once and have their information stored and matches could be made at any time. Very similar in the way that the Voluntary Register works but using DNA as well as or instead of the documents we currently use to register.
Hopefully in that case people who are not able to fill-in that registration form would be able to be tested and it would give a guarantee of a relationship.

What is the process at the moment if you match people via the Voluntary Register? Do they accept this as 100% true or do they then get their own DNA tests? Don't get me wrong, I think it is wonderful that there IS a Voluntary Register, but I am not sure if such a thing would ever match me up with anyone given the lack of information that I have and the secrecy around the donor's identity. This same situation affects a lot of the older donor offspring in WA.

I haven't really thought about how it would be funded as I am not sure what the costs involved are.

----------------------------------------------
Thanks,
Adam
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:09:07 AM by Quinny » Logged

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »

Hi Adam,

I think quite a few do get DNA testing done anyway just for confirmation particularly if the documentation is a little bit on the old side (eg poor record keeping).
A paternity test can range from about $350 - $800 here in Oz depending on where you go to get it done.
But I think the letter is good, and your idea of a DNA register is sound (especially seeing as though mix-ups of sperm samples is not unheard of - eg the donor code someone may have may not be the real donor).

Good work
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 10:39:54 PM »

Thanks Damian.

I didn't even think of donor samples getting mixed up. That's another good reason to add. Thanks. Smiley

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 01:15:11 AM »

Hi there guys. Have'nt been on this site for a while - been busy as!
I think your letter was good Adam. I think what we should be doing is trying to bypass all these rediculous little laws which NO-ONE seems to quite know what they mean and go for the big one - ie. Change the laws completely - do not allow any futher doner conception until the people in power take advise from the only experts on the matter - doner concieved adults - and change the laws so that every single child concieved in this way MUST have and be given biological information from the beginning of life. I'm dreaming I know but everyone says time and time again "the rights of the child must be first and foremost" Well if this were the case then why is no-one taking seriously the trauma current laws are causing doner concieved people? HUMAN RIGHTS!!!! It sure hasnt caused adopted children any anguish being able to know who they are if this is what they want. I'm speechless at the stupidity of these laws we have.
Anyway "hello" again to all
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:43:34 AM »

hi Sue,

How do you bypass the current laws to create a new law forbiding the practice until there is no anonymity involved?

Ahh I know this would be opposed by so many in our society. Could also drive the practice underground...  Huh

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:05:53 AM »

Hi Quinny
I know what you are saying - like I said - DREAMING!
The laws need a complete overhaul. So obviously!
I think if it were all up front as adoption is these days it wouldnt take people very long to realise that this is best for all round and involved and would be so much easier than all this secrecy and hidden identities and I think even harder to go "underground". Records records and more records. What a perfect world. People like me could continue to become pregnant and have our families. Children would be protected with the rights to know who they are. And doners when given the chance do really enjoy meeting the child (ren) they have helped to create - and what comes of their meetings or their choice of whether to continue some form of relationship or not up to "them". How this could be brought about I dont know. Governments and the like are the only people who can do this and need to do this. Pressure on them and lots of stories in media etc... is the only way to even get half way there, then some understanding pollies would'nt go astray as far as I am concerned. As for past children concieved in this way like yourself - I just dont know - with destroyed or unkept records makes things very difficult but someone out there knows something for sure. Just finding that needle in the haystack. Exposure is the only way as far as I can see. These present laws are way way way behind the technology we live with. Dont you think?
Hope all well with you
Sue Smiley

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 03:08:56 AM »

hi Sue,

Yes I think the technology is far out in front of the law and has been for years. Having said that, I am not sure if it's even possible to legislate over all types of assisted reproduction in a consistent way. But somewhere down the line I am sure this will happen.
Exposure is always good. It's unfortunate that not many of the donor conceived people like me want to come forward and speak out. It's even more unfortunate that most of them don't even know that they are and thus have no opportunity to speak about it.
Back on topic, I haven't heard back from Antonia yet.

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 10:21:26 AM »

I havent heard a word yet either Quinny. Do you think they would prefer us to go away??? We are a much to hard subject I think!! What a shame it is us that have to keep asking the same questions over and over only to get replies no-one really understands. Hmmmmmmmmmm something to do with unclear laws and guidelines? I wonder.

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »

I think there are people on the RTC in WA who would support us. Antonia seems pretty good but I do not know how much influence she has or when their meetings take place.
Who really knows how much influence the RTC has on the state government?
The DNA register issue was raised by Bundygrrrl when her, myself and Leonie had a meeting with Jim McGinty. I have since emailed him but haven't had a reply either.

One day soon we'll have cheaper DNA tests available, or the ability to do our own DNA tests at home.

Oh, and another thing is I sent a message online to two DNA testing companies about donor offspring looking for related people and I did not get any response. Pretty poor really.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:20:36 PM by Quinny » Logged

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 12:34:42 AM »

Quinny this is one of the problems. No-one I think really understands the laws - they are so undefined. Even today yes doner concieved children have to right to obtain at least unidentifying info when they reach the age of 16 BUT is this only if the doner has registered on the Voluntary Register (?) and also with half - siblings I think well first they have to have been told of thier conception and secondly they have to have registered on the register in order to get ANY information. Thats why I think the Voluntary Register should be more "out there". Who really knows about it and how to contact it. There are no follow ups after IVF with doner concieved children - not by doctors, or councillors or anyone. The Voluntary Register is vaguely mentioned during the process and thats about it. And it is mentioned to you when your main aim and all you can think of is getting pregnant and having a baby. After you have achieved this - you never hear another thing unless you go searching. There should be follow ups and ongoing coucilling for those who find these issues difficult or are not sure what to do. The voluntary register should be offered on a continueing basis - at least as we seem to just get on with day to day living putting off the "hard tasks" which would lead to alot of people putting off the inviteable until thier children are older and then the problems begin.

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 01:26:57 AM »

Oh yeah that's another point. I haven't seen anything mentioning the Voluntary Register in WA. This was the main point of our meeting with Jim McGinty. Not that I read the paper, mind you. Smiley I do not know if they have put any ads in the paper but my guess is that they haven't.

Yeah it's not good that they don't follow up on it.

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 11:01:42 AM »

Yes well thats why I want someone to contact the other recipients of "our doners" eggs to verify if they want no contact at all ever or if the Voluntary Register has simply been put back in the subconcious somewhere. At least give them the chance to think about it and say yes or no. I can see no harm in this. Unless they themselves seek out the register no-one will ever follow up with them to see what they are going to do. And is this fair for Jethro? I think not. If they said "no contact" then we would just have to accept that but it may merely have been forgotten about or not gotten around to as yet. Hard to imagine though that they dont know who we are!!!! But maybe they dont buy the papers either.

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 02:50:25 AM »

Yeah same deal, how would I know if any of my half-siblings (if there are any) are on the Voluntary Register? We could have put down different info on the form with only a few things similar but not enough to make a link. So how would they know?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: