Australian Donor Conception Forum
June 18, 2018, 07:25:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Search for donors to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith  (Read 17634 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:21:03 AM »

Hello,

I am searching for anyone who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith (Perth, Western Australia), in particular in 1976. I was conceived in 1976 around September or October.
I have nothing to base a search on except that the donor will be caucasian and have a blood type of A or AB.
I spoke to Dr Douglas-Smith and he told me the donors he used were medical students who were "local boys".

I hope to be able to contact the donor and any half-siblings.

Cheers,
Adam
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:19:37 AM by Quinny » Logged

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Catalina

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »

Hi there Adam,

I recently agreed to act as go-between/detective for a family friend in her mid-80's. She is looking for children who were the result of her late son Peter's donations. Peter was a medical student who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith between 1973 and 1982.

What a coincidence to find your post on my first tentative search!

I would love to speak to you in more detail regarding Peter and any possible links to yourself.

Cheers,
Catalina
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:06:13 AM »

Hi Catalina,

Thankyou for your post.

It would be great to speak to you about Peter. Given that time frame he could be the donor for me or my sister (we have different donors).

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:44:34 AM »

Just to give a quick update on this.

There are a lot of commonalities between myself and this donor, Peter. I have seen a picture of him when he was 21 but I don't think he looks like me. There are still a lot of common attributes so I am hoping to progress to a Y-chromosome DNA test with the brother or father. I don't hold out hope though because it would seem far too easy for this first try to be the correct one, and plus I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Smiley

A thought occurred to me that I am a bit surprised I hadn't thought of before. I suspect that donor samples were being transferred between different clinics/practices. So it's entirely possible that my donor (assuming it's not Peter) donated somewhere else. That just makes this whole search so much harder!

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 09:46:01 PM »

Hi Adam, do you have any evidence of sample transfer between clinics?
Would be interesting to know if it did occur in the 70's.

I never put much emphasis on having to look exactly like your donor. It is always far more complicated than that - not all kids look like either or both of their biological parents.
I understand the not wanting to get your hopes up but I'll have my fingers crossed for you.
Please let us know how it goes and if possible fill us in on what steps taken during testing (number of markers etc etc).
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »

Thanks Damian. It's slow going at the moment. It's difficult to decide which testing company to use.

I don't have any evidence. It's just that Peter (the donor in this thread) donated to two places so I suspect at least these two people could have been sharing samples. I asked a guy I know who was a donor doctor but he wasn't doing that in the 70's and 80's so he isn't sure but he said he wouldn't be surprised.

Daven
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:27:02 AM by Fiona » Logged
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »

Finally the DNA samples have been sent off for analysis. Now I should have results in a week or two.

The type of test being done is a Grandmother/grandson test with my Mum's DNA too.

This type of test is not as reliable as a Y-chromosome test but the grandmother wants to be tested first before she mentions anything to her husband. This is all I could go with. Still, most DNA test companies say that they can get a good result with all three of our samples, so who knows what will happen.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 09:49:49 PM »

Good luck Adam,
I hope you will post your results either way (if you are comfortable with doing so of course).
And especially include the technical components - while maybe not everyone will understand them fully it might be beneficial for other to see what happens and what results are returned.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »

Hello,

I got the results today and it shows only a 10% chance of there being a relationship. While that seems low I am not convinced that this number is representative of what the chances really are. Perhaps someone (dadams?) could shed some light into the results and why they put 10% as the chance.

Here are the details with explanation below:

Results: This test was performed by an ISO17025, AABB and CAP accredited laboratory.

Interpretation: The result of the Combined First Order Index can be used in the following manner to interpret the results: If the number is less than 1, it is unlikely (<50%) that a biological relationship exits between the individuals tested. If the number listed is equal to 1, then a 50% probability exits that they are biologically related. As the number increases, so does the percentage probability of a relationship. When the number reaches 100, the tested relationship is highly probable, practically proven.

Based on the DNA Analysis, the value of the Combined First Order Index of 0.12 is less than 1 and the Probability of Relationship is 10.7142% indicating that it is unlikely that a biological relationship exists between the individuals tested.

System     Known Parent     GRANDCHILD    GRANDPARENT      Index
AMEL               XX              XY              XX
D3S1358    16      18      15      18              18      0.5
TH01        7       9       6       7       6       7      1.632
D21S11     29      30      29      30              30      1.536
D18S51     13      14      13      17      16      17      2.123
Penta E    12      13      11      12      12      14      0.5
D5S818     11      12      11      13              11      0.5
D13S317    11      13       9      11       8      11      0.5
D7S820      8      10              10              10      2.073
D16S539    10      12      10      12      12      13      1.071
CSF1PO      8      11      11      12      10      13      0.5
Penta D    11      13      11      13      11      12      1.199
vWA                17      15      17              16      0.5
D8S1179    13      14              13              13      2.078
TPOX                8       8      11       8      10      0.5
FGA        22      26      19      26      20      22      0.5

Combined First Order Index: 0.12 Probability of Relationship: 10.7142%

In the result, you can also see that the DNA test report will show on the left hand column each of the 16 loci analysed. Every person carries 2 copies of a chromosome, one which he inherits from the biological father and the other from the mother. For each loci, 2 numbers are shown (or one in the case where the alleles are identical (homozygous)) representing the size of the allele. These numbers are then used to compare between the persons involved in the testing to see whether they match or not.

Therefore, if the child tested has 2 alleles labelled as 15 and 18, and the mother has two alleles labelled 15 and 17, then the child will have inherited the 15 allele from the mother and the allele 18 from the biological father. Once the test is completed, the analysis will check to confirm if the alleged father has this particulalr allele, and of course to be the biological father the allele must match. The procedure is performed for each loci tested. If the alleged father does not have the matching allele at every locus tested, then he cannot be confirmed as the biological parent.

In the case where there are mutiple exclusions, then then Probability of Paternity percentage is 0% - thereby confirming that the the DNA of the alleged father is not consistent with that of the child and therefore he is excluded as the biological father. If the probability Percentage is consistent, then a result in excess of 99.9%+ is normally obtained.

For your information, we also would like to point out that :

- although we state 16 loci, one of the actual loci tested (called Amelogenin) is analysed to confirm the actual sex of the person. The CPI analysis is therefore based on 15 loci. See article 'The Amelogenin Gene in DNA Testing' for more information.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:13:13 AM by Quinny » Logged

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »

Hi Adam
an index of 0.12 is very low. So for my mind there is very little chance of you being related.
The problem with a test of this sort (testing one grandparent is that it is not very accurate because they are not the person above you in the tree so to speak). Maybe it would have been helpful to test both grandparents and I wonder if the company would believe that that would be helpful also.
The reason I say this is that it is possible (but less probable) that their son when passing on to his donated children, donated alleles from his father (you had the possible grandmother tested). And if that was the case then you would come back with a low index score. If you have excellent evidence that everything else fits (blood group etc etc) it may be something worth considering (testing the garndfather that is), but I would not want to get your hopes up about the chances, but as I said it all depends on which of the alleles he got from his parents that he has then passed on.
The Combined First Order Index Score is the result of the probabilty of each allele multiplied by each other (eg 0.5 x 1.632 x etc etc).
Thankyou very much for sharing, it is extremely interesting.
If you have any specific questions you can always PM me.
Cheers mate.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:15:00 PM by dadams » Logged
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »

I had to clarify the results with the testing company, so I have updated the original post of results.
dadams, what you said is how I thought to interpret the results. Thankyou.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:15:06 AM by Quinny » Logged

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 06:12:54 AM »

I had a look through pages and pages of Medical Student photos in the UWA Archives today. None of them stood out, but one did for my wife. I wrote down a few names so I'll see what I can find out.

I also know that there are two doctors at the local medical centre who went to UWA at about the right time. I don't think they are my donor but they may be able to help with some information.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »

Fathers don't always look like their offspring so it is a bit hard to put too much emphasis on looks.
There was one story Leonie was telling about a DCSG meeting where she and other believed that one of the donors there was the father of one of the offspring. As it turned out it was another man who was also there but everyone thought would not be the father.
It is certainly interesting going through the books looking.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 04:54:59 PM »

Thanks for that Damian. That would make it so much harder. Smiley I was looking for resemblences for Bundygrrrl and my sister but I don't think I was supplied with photos after 1980 so their donors probably weren't in the range I saw.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:21:28 PM by Quinny » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: