Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 16, 2018, 05:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meeting with attorney general  (Read 3023 times)
dadams

View Profile Email
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »

Leonie & Warren, Liz and myself had a meeting with the federal attorney general Philip Ruddock yesterday.
The meeting went pretty well.
He understands and believes that donor children should have access to information about their donor. However he was also quick to point out the usual stuff of health being a matter for the states and that there are only certain things that he is able to do under the constitution.
There is one concern with being donor conceived that does fall under the constitution and that is marrying a sibling (consanguity). So apparently this will be brought up at the upcoming attorney generals meeting (SCAG) abd hopefully something will be done about staring a national register.
I wouldn't get my hopes up yet but it is a start.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »

That's great news Damian!
I hope it is brought up at SCAG and it's not just him making pleasantries to appease you guys while you were there.
Hopefully at that meeting Jim McGinty can bring up the same issue as he seems to be sympathetic to donor offspring.
But as you say, I won't get my hopes up. When is the next SCAG meeting, do you know?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:13:39 AM »

I believe that it is in april
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 09:39:48 PM »

Good to hear. I will write to Jim McGinty re: the topic.

Love and Truth go together.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: