Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 16, 2018, 05:41:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest on push for Federal Legislation  (Read 4943 times)
Caroline

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009, 05:59:20 AM »

Hi everyone,
I don't often get a chance to look at the Forum but I thought that I should let you know what I have been up to since our meeting with Senator Trish Crossin in June. I sent out a package to all Federal MPs & Senators to try and get them interested in legislation. We had very few responses so I started a couple of weeks ago phones all the Senators - most said that they didn't receive our package so I emailed them another copy. I am still working on this whenever I get some spare time. So far we have 5 senators who are willing to help us and a few more who will support us if we can get things going. It doesn't sound like much but it is actually very good especially as 3 of them are very experienced politicians. I also have to start on phoning MPs offices as well. We had a very good response from Simon Crean who said that he will ask that our issues be raised in Caucus.
The petition that we have on the DCSG website (www.dcsg.org.au) still needs more signatures. If you can all ask anyone you know to sign it that would be great! Because we have started things moving in Canberra we need to get the petition ready ASAP so that we can be ready to present it if need be.
It is also the best time now to write to your Federal MPs and especially your Senators to encourage them to support us. A personal story can go a long way.
If anyone would like more info please drop me an email dcsg@optusnet.com.au
Caroline
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »

Thanks for the update Caroline.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »

I for one wish to say how much I appreciate all the work Caroline and others have been putting into this.
It is a thankless task which is extremely exhausting and time consuming, more so than most people probably realise.
So a big thankyou Caroline.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:27:07 AM »

Yep I realise this too! Thanks for all the people who run the DCSG.

I emailed or messaged 12 WA senators and emailed my local federal MP to support the DCSG. Will be interesting to see if I get any responses tonight.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:52:31 AM »

Just had a call from Dr Washer who is the federal MP in my area. He was very supportive of this cause and will be talking to and lobbying the state governments about this.
He did not think anything could be done federally because it's more of a state issue.

I am very happy to hear of his strong support for the DCSG.

Caroline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:41:06 AM »

Hi Everyone,
I've finally got some time to let you know how the big meeting in Canberra went on the 22nd of Feb.
It was emotional & exhausting but pretty amazing to be in a room of politicians who seemed to be very supportive.
I was so glad when we were having the usual discussion of donors having been promised anonymity when one of the politicians said "why should donor conceived people be any different to adoptees?"
We are now waiting to see if the Senate Legislative & Constitutional Affairs Reference Committee will do an inquiry. We have asked for an inquiry into donor conception practices past & present. If you want to find out who is on the committee & email them to encourage them to have an inquiry go to http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/membership/index.htm#Legal There are 2 committees with nearly the same name make sure you look at the References Committee.
In the evening after our meeting WA MP Steve Irons made a speech in Parliament about our visit and said that he is totally supportive of what we are trying to do.
Even if we get an inquiry we still have a battle on our hands trying to get as many people as possible to make submissions. There is still so much secrecy in donor conception and a great many parents who still think that love is enough. Ideas of how to motivate people would be gladly received.
Caroline
Deb

Donor Recipient

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »

Just letting you know that the Senate meets today and will vote whether to undertake this inquiry.  You can follow progress at:

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/DynamicRed/

I belong to the SMC group and we have had quite a few members email Senators regarding this issue.

Regards, Deb

DS born March 2005, DI at Fertility East NSW
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 05:38:24 AM »

Thanks Deb
the latest I heard was that the vote was being postponed possibly till later in the week.
Looks like I have to hold my breath for longer.
Deb

Donor Recipient

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:49 AM »

You might be right - I haven't seen it mentioned yet???

DS born March 2005, DI at Fertility East NSW
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: