Australian Donor Conception Forum
April 21, 2018, 04:00:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repromed (adelaide) current anon donor policy.  (Read 7885 times)
Fennel

ex Donor

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:28:15 PM »

I recently spoke to Sally at http://www.repromed.com.au/, and she said their current self-imposed policy is that a condition of donating is that identifying information can be released to and when the recipient child turns 16. At this stage, they seem receptive in helping recipients contact me in the future, although Im yet to find out how that help will be realised. Will posts updates as they occur.

New shoes can give you blisters
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:03:49 AM »

Thanks for the update Fennel.
The problem I see with Repromed is that they do not hold any of the old records. Repromed was sold by Adelaide Uni a couple of years ago to a group of doctors.
As such all previous records were deemed to be the property of Adelaide Uni and are held on the uni's grounds.
Unless they digitised all previous docs (wouldn't have happened too labour intensive), or at the least kept electronic records for those that were entered electronically (but if they were deemed to not own them then how could they keep a copy) then it would be difficult for them to match up donors and offspring. They at the very least would need to go through the 3rd party (Ad Uni).
Did Repromed mention any of this to you?
I wonder if it would also be worth contacting the university.
Interesting the statement about a "self-imposed" policy, almost makes them sound as though "they" are doing the right thing. When in fact it is a policy of the SACRT to which Repromed falls under (even though legislatively donors are allowed anonymity - SA only).
Fennel

ex Donor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 02:24:52 AM »

Ok - I was slightly mistaken in first post - only NON identifying info can be released, and only after 16 years old. (SA).
Repromed also explained the situation with Adelaide Uni, and suggested to me that they havent been very cooperative in handing over/ searching for records.
If true, then this is unfortunate, and some pressure by parents of afffected donor children might help manage this problem.
On the upside, Repromed said they would be happy, if requested by recipients, to facilitate me being identified to recipient families (with my approval).

New shoes can give you blisters
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:29:20 PM »

>Ok - I was slightly mistaken in first post - only NON identifying info can be >released, and only after 16 years old. (SA).
>Repromed also explained the situation with Adelaide Uni, and suggested to me that >they havent been very cooperative in handing over/ searching for records.

Hmmm, as I thought.

>If true, then this is unfortunate, and some pressure by parents of afffected donor >children might help manage this problem.

It is a very sad state of affairs. Unfortunately the DC community is almost non-existent when it comes to group things here in SA. I am aware of about 3-4 families that keep in regular contact through DCSG meetings. Which is an incredibly small number. South Aussies are an incredibly private bunch.
So getting people together to put pressure on the powers to be is so hard.
To be honest I feel like the only person who has been putting the pressure on the pollies to make changes over the last few years. When there is only one signature on a letter they can write me off as just a "crack pot" that doesn't mirror the community views. It's only when there are dozens or hundreds of co-ordinated people that we can elicit change.

>On the upside, Repromed said they would be happy, if requested by recipients, to >facilitate me being identified to recipient families (with my approval).

That's good to hear.

Thanks for following it up.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:24:53 PM »

Hi guys
Not to mention - that info will only be given to children if those children actually have been told they were donor conceived. Which is why we really need to jump up and down about these "human beings" being deceived of their rightful identities.
x Sue

Love and Truth go together.
RoseW.A.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:10:02 PM »

Hi Fennel, my story is in places on this site but to summarise.
Single mum to donor conceived child via IVF at Repromed in 2005 to anonymous donor.
For the first year of my child's life I tried to get Repromed to allow contact with our donor. I was told that since our donor had not returned his "ok to release identity to recipients" form, which they sent out before the changeover, they would not allow contact and I had to go via Adelaide Uni to access archived records. I started negotiations with the archive gatekeeper (who was a lawyer) and they were uncoperative and so was Repromed. The counseller Anne Graham was very sympathetic but helpless except for giving me the name to write to in Adelaide Uni.
Even when I met the donor by accident online (by chance) and we both contacted Repromed and said "can we verify that we are both who we think we are"...the medical director still said no to them aiding contact. Fortunately Anne ignored his directive I think and said "hey they are already talking".
As it turned out our donor had indeed returned his form that should have allowed contact (by registered post) but they did not have it on file.
He is also supposed to be informed by letter if he has any offspring conceived and not once have they sent him a letter. He only knows by ringing them up every 6 months.
So, I have little faith in what they say.
If I were you, I would get in writing now their story to you that "Repromed said they would be happy, if requested by recipients, to facilitate me being identified to recipient families (with my approval)". Who told you that?
Thanks for joing this forum. Regards, Rose

Looking for half siblings of Repromed Donor DZ who also donated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in S.A.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »

It's stories like yours Rose that make me so cynical and jaded.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: