Australian Donor Conception Forum
August 14, 2018, 01:44:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Genebase  (Read 6002 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:01:29 AM »

Has anyone considered a site like this?

http://www.genebase.com/

I haven't looked through this site fully.
Seems to be male oriented (as far as DNA testing goes) but possibly a way to at least find out some of your ancestors?
It's relatively expensive though.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:45:46 PM »

G'Day Adam,

I have looked at some of this in the past as i am interested in it as I studied a lot of genetics and molecular biology at Uni.
There are lots of companies that do stuff like that and the price varies between companies and particularly with what test you have done and how many markers are used.
While it would certainly be interesting to see what ancestry lies within your DNA there are some problems with the testing currently. And that is the databases that they draw their results from. Not every company is able to use the same database and many of them do not have a large enough sample size from every region on earth. So your lineage may draw from a region from which the database has no match and it may falsely match you to another region. This is known to occur as some people of known genetic descent have been tested (as an example a person of celtic origin who can go back hundreds of years may have been shown to have some north american indian in there which was clearly incorrect). So it may get most of your markers right but it may get some wrong also. As their databases increase the chances of errors will decrease. Some have a databases of 50,000 people but this is still too small particularly if those 50,000 people are all from europe (if you understand where I am coming from).
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:05:20 AM »

hi Damian,

Thanks for that. I am not really aware of how this DNA matching works, despite reading about how they match up things.
In your example, you are talking about testing the Y chromosome markers right?
But you are talking about trying to match up particular DNA markers with regions of Earth? Isn't the point to only try to match to other people?

I don't think I understand this area fully.

If I wanted to find out how closely related I am to my Dad (the non-bio one) would this type of service be any good?
Or for that matter, for testing my friends to see how closely we are related?
Or even better, testing potential half-siblings to see if they are a match?

I found this forum: http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/

It looks like ysearch.org is supposed to be the consolidation point for tested DNA results, and their database isn't even 40,000 profiles yet.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »

There are lots of different types of DNA testing which will provide different results.
The one I was talking about uses certain DNA markers that appear to be restricted to certain regions around the world (eg people from the west coast of africa will have a different marker pattern than someone from the mediterranean etc)to determine a sort of genetic genealogy. It will not determine that you are specifically related to someone else.

To determine if someone is a half sibling it is pretty much exactly the same as a paternity (same markers) test, but this is quite different to the testing done in the genetic lineage type testing above. This type of testing is done readily by many companies here in Oz.

Personally I don't think the service you mentioned is any good for determining how closely you are related to your social father or your friends (they may argue otherwise). It would appear that the way that they construct family trees and line you up with other relatives also requires a lot of ordinary genealogy input from you and them as well. I'm not sure how they interpret their results to determine a level of relatedness for you and your friends and social father. What I am trying to say is that I can see how it may be usefull for those that are related to find lost distant relations. I'm just not sure that it is going to do much for your scenario unless the other person tested is a distant relative. Lets say you have 10 markers tested and your friend comes back with 3 the same and your social father has 1. OK so your not at all related but your friend would appear to be a little closer. Does that do anything for you (doesn't do anything for me)? As I said it would be interesting to see the results, but more just for fun - I would take the results with a grain of salt. And if we are not able to provide accurate info as we do not know our fathers are they able to match you up to anyone?

Perhaps you could email them explaining the donor conception issue and see if they feel that their test would be of benefit and how it would be of benefit.

At the moment I would only be utilising paternity/sibship testing as being definative.
myf

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 12:11:18 AM »

Hello Adam and Damian,
We posed the idea of getting the ITA in Victoria to set up a gene bank at a meeting with them last year, it sadly wasn't one they were all that enthusiastic about. This is something that is of great importance to me in seeking my half siblings, the gene bank set up by the UKDonorLink has had some success in reuniting half-siblings since the rate of offspring submitting their DNA is much higher than donors doing the same.
 Undecided
Myf.

"The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life." - Charles Dickens
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 10:10:16 PM »

Excellent point Myf, finding siblings and the loss of kinship with them is an often overlooked part of being donor conceived. Most people seem to feel that it stops with finding out who your donor is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: