Australian Donor Conception Forum
April 21, 2018, 09:55:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I the only donor offspring that isnt THAT smart???  (Read 3655 times)
bundygrrrl

bundy_has_spoken
View Profile Email
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:14:20 AM »

I am having my just past "Quarter life crisis" me thinks. Undecided

The more I find other DI adults, the less intelligent I feel. I mean Im not exactly stupid, but I have no uni degree, I was always an average student in school... maybe my donor was the one of the dregs that got into uni, you know, the one that failed before he finished his medical degree???  Embarrassed

the "word around town" is that our donors were all med students. mine was apparently a musician too.

I feel so inferior, like I am the only one who didnt get my bio father's intelligence, drive to succeed and well...... success...

SO.... my question I am putting out there.

Huh Is anyone else in the same boat as me??  Huh
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »

Bundygrrl,

you shouldn't feel that way at all.
In fact those of us that have completed a univeristy degree are probably less intelligent. Many of the people that are the most succesful in this world such as Bill Gates are college drop-outs, and they have said in many of their lectures at unis that if those students continue with their degree that statistically they will not go on to be as nearly succesful as they are.
Uni degrees are definately not the be all and end all. I know too many people that did not do one and they are on a lot better wicket than I am.
As for things like IQ tests or school tests, it is my firm belief that they are not an overall indicator of intelligence as intelligence is such a multifaceted thing while these tests really only concentrate on certain areas. For many people they will become very knowledgable in things that interest them. If you are not interested in or do not enjoy maths then you will not do well in mathematics tests. But others may be more intelligent in social sciences and are better at interaction with other people, which is something that someone who may be exceptional at physics may have a hard time with.
So for myself as a person who has a uni degree I do not take much stock in IQ tests or scholastic performances. It doesn't necesarily make you a better person.
And here's a question for you:
Q. What do you call the person who came last in his medical degree?
A. Doctor.
I've met many a doctor who just plain scare me.

P.S. - I don't have a huge drive to be successful either. I'm still doing the same thing that I was sick of 10 years ago but here I am still doing it because I can't work out what I want to do. So you are not alone.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:51:44 AM »

I agree with Dadams that it is difficult to measure intelligence. I don't think having a uni degree makes you intelligent. Arts degree anyone? Tongue
Also if it wasn't for computers my degree is totally useless.

My degree has helped me get a job but that's not necessarily the best thing in the world.

Bundygrrl, just because you don't have a uni degree doesn't mean you can't get one. Also just because your donor may have been a med student it doesn't mean he had a drive to succeed. I think some of those people were pushed into it by their doctor fathers.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: