Australian Donor Conception Forum
December 11, 2018, 02:24:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition from the DCSG  (Read 8518 times)
dadams

View Profile Email
« on: December 22, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »

The following provides a link to a petition being run by the DCSG to afford equal rights to all donor offspring. Follow the link to the DCSG webpage which has details about the petition at the top of the page. It can be signed on line.

Dear All,
For those of you that I have not been in contact with lately the Donor Conception Support Group of Australia has been working on a petition to present to Federal Parliament to ask them to initiate an inquiry into donor conception with a view to legislating & giving rights of access to all donor conceived people regardless of when they were conceived.
The petition (after a little hiccup) is finally online go to www.dcsg.org.au & follow the link at the top of the page. When you sign the petition it will send an email to the DCSG email address which I will print out. When we get a decent amount of signatures I will put a note on the homepage to let people know.
If you would like a printable version of the petition to take to friends to sign please let me know & I will email you one. I will be sending out a printed version to all DCSG members after Christmas.
Even though the Senate does not stipulate that a petition must be signed by Australians I think that it will not look that good if too many of the signatories are from elsewhere. It also does not stipulate that the signatories must be adults. Interesting.
REMEMBER EVERYONE that having the petition online will not achieve anything. We need signatures - as many as possible - so it is up to you to send the link out to as many people as possible - get it posted on as many websites as possible.
Good luck
Regards
Caroline
Daven
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:21:15 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:30:10 AM by Fiona » Logged
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:39:02 PM »

Here's a breakdown of signatures as of 8-Jan-2009.

NSW 24
ACT 3
VIC 13
QLD 27
SA 6
WA 15
TAS 3
UK 4
USA 1
Canada 4
NZ 1

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Daven
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:30:21 AM by Fiona » Logged
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »

We do need as many signatures as possible if we are going to make an impact. Hopefully those other sites which are heavily visited will lift the numbers.
I think Fiona is right Adam, any chance you can send it out as a group email, in case that there are those that do not visit this forum regularly?
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:32:15 AM »

As you no doubt have received one by now you'll know that I have sent out an email to all the members who didn't refuse to be contacted (don't think there were any but not sure).

Hopefully that will get some more signatures.

Cheers,
Quinny

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:02:49 AM »

Good stuff, thanks Adam.
Daven
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:30:00 AM by Fiona » Logged
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 01:17:53 AM »

I can't see now who it got sent to but the email in your profile definitely appears in the list so I would say that you got sent it.

Is it possible that your email program has filtered the email as spam or junk? Do you have a junk folder that you can check?

Cheers,
Quinny

Daven
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:28:42 AM by Fiona » Logged
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »

I did the same and emailed all my email friends and most have signed.
I wonder if the newspaper would consider advertising so as it reaches the whole state?

Love and Truth go together.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »

Here is some more info from Caroline:

Federal Petition
As most of you will already know the DCSG has started a petition which we will present to the Federal Government in the near future. This is one of the biggest and most important things that the DCSG has ever done! The petition is about the rights of donor conceived people to have access to information about their biological heritage.

You may ask, "why a petition"?

Some of us in the DCSG have spent over 15 years working for the rights of donor conceived people. Yes, things have changed, improved to what they once were but there is still discrimination. The right to access information on donors is still different from states to state. It varies from a state where some donor offspring have the right to know who their donor is to most states where no donor offspring has the right to any information at all. We have tried the usual routes of getting legislation for many years but have not achieved conformity in legislation across Australia so our only option seems to be to try a National Petition.

While we do not have a definite cut-off date for wanting all signatures in the quicker we get them in the sooner we can present the petition to parliament.
For those of us who are parents signing the petition means we are advocating for the rights of our children. For those of you lucky enough to live in states that have legislation & have children who are young enough to fall under that legislation please sign the petition to help others; after all there were people fighting for the rights that your children have, so please help us out by gathering as many signatures as possible. For those who were themselves born from donated sperm, eggs and embryos by signing this petition and getting others to sign it you are advocating for yourselves; saying clearly that the way things are is not good enough, things have to change.

Remember that the petition can also be signed online at www.dcsg.org.au; follow the link on the homepage.
If you have any queries about the petition please do not hesitate to email me at dcsg@optusnet.com.au

NSW Legislation
The NSW Health Department has recently released the Regulations (and the Regulatory Impact Statement) that will accompany the new Assisted Reproductive Technology Act (2007). Anyone can write a submission to the Department voicing any concerns they have about the document, you can download a copy of the document at http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/resources/aboutus/legal/art_regulation_pdf.asp.

The DCSG will continue to voice its' concern about the fact that the regulations, like the legislation, is written in very vague terms and does not mention a Voluntary Register by name. We will also be mentioning that the Regulations do not do enough for those donor conceived people born before the enactment of the legislation. The group (at time of this newsletter going to print) have not yet had time to thoroughly go through the Regulations & formulate our response but if you have any queries please get in contact with me.
All submissions must be in to the Health Department by the 27th Feb. 2009.

South Australian Legislation
Late last year the South Australian Government tabled a major amendment to their Assisted Reproductive Technology Act. One of the most important parts of this is the possibility for the creation of a register for donor conception. The amendment doesn't say that a register will definitely be created; it just allows for one. The very sad news is the clause in the section on the creation of a register that states (I have underlined the important sentence).
   15óDonor conception register
   This clause enables the Minister to keep a register that identifies the donor of human reproductive material used in assisted reproductive treatment, where the treatment results in the birth of a child.

The clause sets out the information required to be kept if the donor conception register is, in fact, kept, and also provides that the register may only be accessed in accordance with the regulations.
   The clause also empowers the Minister to require a person to provide the Minister with specified information, where the Minister requires that information for the purpose of preparing and maintaining the donor conception register. A person who, without having a reasonable excuse, refuses or fails to comply with such a requirement is guilty of an offence.
   The clause also provides that the proposed section does not apply to assisted reproductive treatment provided before the commencement of this section.

Everyone needs to get in contact with their local MPs and demand that this sentence be removed from the Bill and a register be created for ALL donor conceived people.

Victorian Legislation
Near the end of the parliamentary debate on the Assisted Reproductive Technology Act late last year a statement was read out by Labor MP Gavin Jennings"
   A number of people have raised concerns that people conceived using gametes donated before 1998 in Victoria cannot access information about their genetic origins on the same basis as those conceived using gametes donated since 1998. There are concerns that this may affect the health and wellbeing of some donor-conceived people.
   The government would like to further consider the appropriateness of the current arrangements.
   The government proposes to refer issues associated with providing donor-conceived people with more access to information about their genetic origins to the Law Reform Committee of the Parliament. The government will ask the Law Reform Committee to consider and advise on:
      (a) the legal, practical and other issues that would arise if all donor-conceived people were given access to identifying information about their donors and their donor-conceived siblings, regardless of the date that the donation was made; and

(b) the legal, practical and other issues that would arise if the birth certificates of donor-conceived people indicated their generic origins.
In advising on the issues associated with each proposal, the government will ask the committee to note and take into account:

(a) the possible implications under the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities;

(b) any practical difficulties in releasing information about donors who provided their gametes before 1 July 1988, because in many cases records are not available either because the procedure was carried out privately or records were not stored centrally;

(c) the options for implementing any changes to the current arrangements, including non-legislative options;

(d) the impact that any such changes may have on the donor, the donor-conceived person and future donor programs; and

(e) the transfer of the donor registers currently held by the Infertility Treatment Authority to the registrar of births, deaths and marriages.

I have just emailed the Law Reform Committee about how they will be investigating these issues. The response was that they will not be doing any investigation because as far as they are concerned all the issues were resolved in parliament and no motion was passed to tell the Law Reform Committee to investigate. I have written to a number of liberal MPs about this issue but at the time of writing this report I have not had an answer. Please contact your own local MP and ask that the issues be properly referred to the Law Reform Committee.

Human Rights Inquiry
The federal Government announced, late last year, that they would be holding a consultation about human rights in Australia. Information about this can be found at: http://www.humanrightsconsultation.gov.au
Their website states:
   The National Human Rights Consultation provides the opportunity for you to share your views on human rights. The Consultation is run by an independent Committee. The Committee is supported by a Secretariat in the Attorney-Generalís Department.
The Consultation is a chance to hear peopleís ideas about human rights and talk about ways to protect and promote human rights in the future. Key Consultation Questions:

• Which human rights and responsibilities should be protected and promoted?
  • Are human rights sufficiently protected and promoted?
  • How could Australia better protect and promote human rights?

The deadline for submissions is 29 May 2009.
The DCSG will be making a submission voicing our opinion that Australia needs to actually abide by the International conventions to which it is a signatory and put these values into a Bill of Human Rights as other countries like New Zealand have done.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »

The DCSG still needs 150 more signatures so if everyone could try and find at least one or two other people we can get there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: