Australian Donor Conception Forum
July 19, 2018, 11:17:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Womens Hospital Sydney  (Read 9356 times)
Katherine

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »

Hi,

My name is Katherine. I am looking for information on links to my biological father. I was conceived by a donor in 1974 at the Royal Women's Hospital in Sydney. I am of the understanding that the hospital has since been knocked down and any potential records were destroyed. Does anyone know where I might start?

I may be able to get the doctors name from my mother that assisted the procedure and was also told that he may have been a 3rd year medical student.

Any help on where to start appreciated.
Regards,
Katherine
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:04:57 AM »

Hello and welcome Katherine.

It may be a good place to start to see if you can get the doctor's name from your mum and then see if you can contact the doctor (letter or phone call).

Cheers,
Adam

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Daven
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:19:37 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:36:13 AM by Fiona » Logged
dani1

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:47:47 AM »

Hi Katherine,

I too was conceived at the Royal Womens Hospital Sydney and have dealt with them for years regarding the lack of information they have.
I found out I was donor-conceived 7 years ago and when I contacted RHW, they told me all records were destroyed prior to 1985 (I was born in 1982).
They may give you a basic description of your donor and a code, which to be honest I don't know where they get this from if all records were destroyed! (I was given a generic description that turns out was incorrect as I managed to find my donor 5 years ago by chance).
If I can help with any questions you have don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!

Dani
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:56 PM »

Cool, another offspring who is almost as old as me.
Unfortunately for people like us Katherine, the clinics often use statements like "all the records were destroyed", "the records have been lost", "we didn't keep that kind of information".
There is a lot of debate as to the accuracy of these statements, but please don't let that stop you from trying.
As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, you can also register on the online registries, in the hope that one day, your donor or half siblings register on there also. Currently we are pushing for a national register but that too is slow going.
Given that time period I would hazard a guess that in all likelyhood your donor would have been a medical student (or maybe even a doctor there at the time). It might be worth finding out if the hospital was also a teaching hospital and if so which uni fed students into it. And then try and track down year books etc. 
davidinsyd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:06:26 AM »

Katherine, who was the delivering doctor? Was it Dr Mackey (sometimes spelt Mackie)? I'm referring to the doctor who is either listed on your birth certificate, or who was your mother's gyneacologist.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 07:00:44 AM »

Hi Davidinsyd,

Katherine hasn't logged into this site since she posted that first message so I don't know if she is still checking it or not. It may be worth sending her a private message or an email.

Cheers,
Quinny

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »

Quinny,
thanks for checking the stats and passing on that info.
That's the problem for general users of forums such as this. they never know how many times a person has logged on.
Good admin work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: