Australian Donor Conception Forum
September 20, 2018, 10:40:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming an egg donor  (Read 4599 times)
neejchee

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:14:13 PM »

Wow. Looks like I'm the first to post here.

I would love to donate my eggs, as I am extremely fertile and do not think it is fair that so many women cannot have what I seem to get so easily. I am wasting at least one, maybe two eggs every month (fraternal twins run in my family) so if I can help even one couple have a baby to love as much as I love my own that is something I would love to do.

The thing is, I still want more kids in the future. I have heard that some places don't allow you to donate if you still want more kids of your own, but other people say not all have this rule and it is only to protect them from legal action if the donor becomes too old and tries for another, and then doesn't have enough eggs.

I haven't actually seen anything to tell me either way other than what is basically 'gossip' so I'm hoping someone on here will know more specifically. Is it dangerous to a donor's fertility? And is it true that you're not allowed to donate until you're finished having your own kids?

Thanks for any help!
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »

The rules will probably vary from clinic to clinic. However, some will allow women to donate even if they haven't had any children of their own yet. So i doubt that that will be much of a hurdle.
While some people may view the preference for those that have already finished their families as a means to try and prevent law suits if the donor becomes infertile after the procedure it is also there so that hopefully the donor will have a better understanding of what they are donating than someone who has not had children.
Donating eggs is not without risks, it is an invasive procedure to actually collect the eggs and there is also the risk that hyperstimulating the ovaries can lead to very serious complications (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome OHSS). It is best to talk to a trained professional in this regard (the clinics). Find out what the incidence rate is in their practice and weigh it up for yourself, some say it is around 3% and I've seen some reports of 10%.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:05:46 AM »

Hi Neejchee
Welcome. Why do you want to donate your eggs? There are far more complex issues than simply "helping" someone have children. ie. your health and future fertility and also for the child created this way - half siblings they may never know, maybe a family who will never disclose the truth to the child, grandparents they may never know. Grandparents, aunties, uncles, cousins etc.. who never get the choice of being known to the child. Knowingly doing this to a human being (ie creating them in this way)is exactly what alot of donor conceived adults are now saying bothers them immensley. Laws dont accomodate to the best interests of the children being created in this way and until they do I personally cannot see how this practice can be allowed to continue. I personally think it is emotionally cruel.
Just my personal opinion and not everyone's!!!!
Wish you well whatever you decide to do and yes the egg donor I had was told that the treatment could affect her fertility - and she hadnt had any children of her own. Luckily she has just given birth to her first born son.
Regards
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: