Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 16, 2018, 05:39:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK: Proposal for DC Birth Certificates.  (Read 4703 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »

Taken from http://www.dcbirthcertification.org

This is quite long and I won't post the whole thing, you can read it all on the above website. I would like to hear what people think.

--------------------
In July 2007 the Joint Committee on the Draft Human Tissue and Embryos Bill accepted the moral case for putting the mode of conception on the birth certificates of donor-conceived people. In this paper it is argued that the problem goes much deeper. For seventy years the paradigm under which people have been conceived and born using donated sperm or eggs has been that of "treating the childless", whereas the paradigm underlying everyone else’s conception and birth has been "creating a human being". This has resulted in a two-tier society whereby for most of its citizens the state collates, as far as is practical, their genetic identities, and allows them to have such information as is in its keeping. The exceptions are donor-conceived people, who have significantly inferior rights. In this paper it is argued that the same paradigm and the same rights should apply to all UK citizens.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »

While I haven't checked out the website, I am aware of what is currently going on in the UK in regards to this.
I don't want to push for one model over another as I don't think anyone is at that stage yet. But I do support the notion that the birth certificate should show any donors (eg the genetic parents as well as the legal parents). The birth certificate is supposed to be an accurate record which is sanctioned by the state. Anything less than showing all genetic parents can be classed as deception and making the document fraudulent.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:48:04 PM »

I agree 100% and I have also sent a copy of the proposal from the IDOA and also the recent one from Rupert Rushbrooke on to the Reproductive Technology Council in W.A. to make them aware of all that is happening in the UK at the moment. I think our governments need to receive this kind of information regarding donor conception.
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:01:11 AM »

Hi Damian,

The website is talking generically about birth certificates for DC people, not about the specifics which are currently being debated in parliament (I think).

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Fennel

ex Donor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 05:43:26 AM »

I feel that if a government recognises the individial's right to their genetic heritage, then putting the genetic parents on the birth certificate should be mandated, regardless of how they are conceived.

New shoes can give you blisters
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:54:33 PM »

Ditto!

Love and Truth go together.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 03:47:18 AM »

Rajiv,
do you have a comment about my post?
As you have just cut and pasted my post word for word.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:01:11 AM »

Hi Damian,

If you see anyone quoting a previous post with no additonal info, it is just a spam user and I delete them and their posts/topics ASAP. The reason they do that is to sort of hide the post as valid, but in their post they have the links they want you to follow at the bottom.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:13 AM »

I figured as much as it was a user that had spammed the forum previously but i thought I'd be polite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: