Australian Donor Conception Forum
April 21, 2018, 09:55:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Talked to 5th year medical students  (Read 4178 times)
dadams

View Profile Email
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:23:25 PM »

I talked to the 5th year medical students here in Adelaide yesterday about my own personal experience with DC.
And while it was good that they were all quiet and listened (they made noise and talked  during other peoples talks), it is dissapointing that there were no questions thrown at me even though they clapped at the end of my talk. So it begs the question about whether med students these days have any interests whatsoever in how things effect their patients rather than being so caught up the status of being a "doctor".
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »

I knew a med student who is now a GP and at the time he was at uni I would not say he was responsible, but nowadays I would say he is. I don't know if any moral talk given to him at uni would be remembered by him. Smiley

If you watch the Simpsons, you will have some like Dr Nick and some like Dr Hibbert. Smiley

I guess if any of the med students you spoke to are going into the genetics or infertility industry it may have had an impact.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
karlas_mum

love_me69@msn.com jofourpat@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:29:18 AM »

I though being med students that would have plenty of questions to ask you on how you feel being a adult these days and how you handle things when you found out sad really.

Daven
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:34:05 AM by Fiona » Logged
alicia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »

Hi dadams,

I think itís hard to generalize, I have a cousin who is a doctor and unfortunately, he is one of those doctors who considers patients as numbers, as keep a very cold and insensitive attitude towards his work. I think he may use this as a way to not get involved and not get upset, I really donít know, but I really donít like that at all.
On the other hand, one of my best friends is studying medicine and will be a Doctor in one year. She is the most caring person in the world, ever since we were in school together, she knew she wanted to become a doctor to be able to help other people. I wish there were more doctors with her attitude. So I guess its all in the luck of the draw, some doctors really donít care , but some doctors do.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: