Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 19, 2018, 07:35:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Annual Seminar for BMS101 - "Changing Nature of the Family"  (Read 11627 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »

This is currently in the planning stages.

This is the annual seminar for BMS101 - Introduction to the Human Body, a first year undergraduate unit at Murdoch.  Each year is run a public forum on topics of contemporary biomedical interest. Previous topics have been stem cell technology, preimplantation genetic testing, voluntary euthanasia, surrogacy and organ donation.

This year the topic will be "Changing Nature of the Family".  The themes and specific questions are, tentatively:

Donor gametes - a service perspective (it's now easier to arrange egg donation than sperm donation in WA, apparently).

Adoption in WA - DCD perspective (?)(total of 8 legal adoptions within WA in 2006/7).

Overseas adoption - a parental perspective (71% of all adoptions in Australia last year were inter-country - see http://www.aihw.gov.au/mediacentre/2008/mr20080221.cfm and http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/10547).

Donor gametes - the child's perspective.

It is the last area where I have been asked to give a talk. I have tentatively accepted. I am told the speakers usually speak for 20-25mins but I am not sure if I could speak that long.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:06:48 PM by Quinny » Logged

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:17:19 PM »

G'Day Adam,

Do you know who will be providing the children's perspective?
It is good that the universities are starting to take a more holistic approach in their teaching. eg More than one view is being presented to the students.
They are doing a similar thing here in Adelaide with the med students.

Cheers
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:32:45 AM »

Well, me. Or if not me, someone else. Smiley There's only one speaker per category as far as I know.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:14:51 AM »

PUBLIC SEMINAR 'CHANGING NATURE OF THE FAMILY'
FRIDAY MAY 16 2008— 3:30 PM TO 5:30 PM
ECONOMICS, COMMERCE AND LAW THEATRE 1
MURDOCH UNIVERSITY SOUTH STREET CAMPUS

What used to be described as the 'family tree' is today more like a 'family orchard',
with many different options for having and nurturing children. Same-sex
relationships, altruistic surrogacy, reproductive technologies such as IVF, embryo,
sperm and egg donation, and the use of embryonic stem cell therapy are changing the
way in which we regard procreation. Adoption—still advocated by some as the
solution for childless couples—is virtually impossible within Australia: Western
Australia had just eight adoptions in 2006/7. In this public seminar, we explore some
of these options with speakers from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. The
seminar is run as a component in the undergraduate course, 'Introduction to the
Human Body', and is aimed to give students a view on current issues in human
biology. Previously, such seminars have covered stem cell technology, embryo
genetic testing, tissue donation, voluntary euthanasia and rights of access to
reproductive technology.

Chair: Associate Professor Stephan Millett, Director, Centre for Applied Ethics and
Philosophy, Curtin University

Speakers:
  • Jade Santa Maria, Acting Senior Operational Policy Officer, Adoption
    Service, Department for Child Protection Western Australia Adoption Policy
    and Practice in Western Australia
  • Bridget Blackwell, PIVET Medical Centre Running a Gamete and Embryo
    Donation Service
  • Adam Quinlivan Perspective on being the Offspring of an Anonymous
    Sperm Donor
  • Nick Mortimer Adopting from Overseas: a Parent's Story
  • Dr Emma Hawkes Experiencing Known Donor Artificial Insemination

Convenor Dr Jim Cummins
Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University
Tel 9360 2668 E mail J.Cummins@murdoch.edu.au

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:20:46 AM »

Good luck Adam although I'm sure you'll be fine.
Fill us in on how it goes.
All the best
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »

Thanks Damian. I'm going to basically give the same speech as the one I did for the Conference where we met.

I hope to use this opportunity to enhance my public speaking ability. Smiley

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:32:06 PM »

Public speaking like many other things is a skill that improves with practice.
What you wrote/spoke at the last conference came from your heart - that is the important thing. With that you can take the confidence in knowing in that what you are saying comes from a lifetime of experience. It is your story no one elses, it is above reproach even if some people choose to disagree with your views.
But that is life.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 10:54:39 PM »

Good luck Quinny. You will do well and you will be strong!!! Just think of your little boy watching you! Will be thinking of you and please let us know how it goes.
Hope they have lots of questions for you re:question time after your speech cause that will mean they "took it in".
Best Wishes
Sue  Smiley

Love and Truth go together.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 02:03:29 AM »

Thanks guys. Haha I think they'll all be eager to get to the pub afterwards so maybe no one will ask questions. Smiley

Actually, my family are not going to be there as they are going on a trip today to visit rellies outside of Perth.

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 01:52:27 PM »

If anyone is interested I have a copy of the audio and a transcript of the event.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »

Hi Adam

do you have an electronic copy of the transcript you could send to me?

Thanks
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 11:57:01 PM »

Yes I do. It's a version that someone has transcribed and is for the speakers to go through and make sure it's ok, so there are some typos and things. I will send it when I get home.

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 08:41:45 PM »

Quinny I am very interested also. How was it? Was there lots of interest and questions on your feelings as a donor conceived person? Do you think that they are taking an interest in donor conceived people as people or still merely as a medical treatment for infertile people? What was your personal perspective on how they received you and your views?
Sorry for all the questions......................
Cheers Sue

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »

Hi Sue,

It was very broad and it didn't seem like they were pushing the "medical treatment" bandwagon. Some of the people were interested in my part and because of the overseas adoption aspect, they had a big focus on the children.

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 11:05:22 PM »

HI Quinny - just been reading the transcript and your speech was very good.
The lady from pivet (Bridget) is the one who told me that Jethro in fact didnt have any half siblings - that Pivet had made a clerical error in informing me that he did.
Sounds like it was an interesting day - did anyone make the connection between adoption and the rights of the children and the donor conceived and the difference in their "rights".? No-one ever seems to think that there should be a connection in "rights" here and i dont understand why. Anyway congratulations on getting others to think and ask - a few more ponderings by others!  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: