Australian Donor Conception Forum
November 17, 2018, 11:45:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from another newbie  (Read 4813 times)
Jules

Mum to 2 donor conceived boys

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2008, 09:24:49 AM »

My name is Jules.

My DH & I have been TTC#1 for 5yrs without success. In that 5yrs, we have done 2.5yrs of ICSI. 4 fresh cycles & 4 Nat FETs (2 of which were canc.).

We have had further testing done (karotype, etc), which has show a chromosome inversion with DH. A further in depth test showed a slight part of the inversion is missing.

We were considering PGD, but as I don't produce many eggs, our geneticist has said it's probably not worth the expense. Another option is donor sperm. So that's why I'm here.

Can anyone tell me the steps with using donor sperm. We have an appointment with our FS & a counsellor to discuss things, but I thought I would get a head start. I am in Victoria.

Thank you for reading.

Jules xoxoxo

TTC#1 since 2003 with MFI morph/chromosome inversion & endo.
ICSI #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 BFN Nat FET #1 #2 BFN. Nat FET #3 #4 Canc.
ICSI#6 BFP. DS#1 & DS#2 17/04/2009.
tkpalmeri

Mother of 2 children from sperm donor #143 at QFG

tkpalmeri@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:59:32 PM »

Dear Jules,

Sounds like you have had a journey! It is frustrating but remember you will find success, you have to stay positive and things will happen.  Well, sperm donors, firstly depending on what state you live in there is some or no legislation, you might like to check that first.  Secondly, I would definately pick a clinic that is RTAC certified or you could contact the Donor Conception Support Group www.dcsg.org.au or ph 029739335 and they can point you in the right direction to a good clinic near you, they also have the legislation information for the various states on their website.  The only other advice I would give you is to choose a donor that has agreed to identity release.  Your children might like to one day meet him, thank him or ask more questions.  (Try and think how your children might feel when they are older)  And get as much information on your donor as possible before you go through with it, in particular medical information.  You might want to compare information, in other words some clinics might give you more information than others.  In some states you can even meet the donor and go for coffee before you decide.  (All upto you and what you feel comforatable with, I guess)  All sperm is tested for diseases and various other things now-a-days, so it is all pretty safe, the clinics will discuss this with you.  The last bit of advice I will give you is to maybe read some of the comments from donor parents and kids on this website, gives you a little more to think about.  Donor insemination is pretty simple, I never used an ovulation kit with my first child but did with my second.  It is a big choice to make, a rewarding choice.  Good luck, hope this helps!!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:31:21 PM by tkpalmeri » Logged

Mother of 2 children from sperm donor #143 QFG.  Would like to make contact with donor and other siblings/parents. Donor was musician Dipl Audio Engineering, was born 1969. More info on in QLD section.  My children too love music. Daughter plays piano & clarinet. Son wants to learn guitar.
Daven
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:36:45 AM by Fiona » Logged
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »

Hi Fiona
We had the option here in W.A. of meeting our egg donor first or going anonymous.
We chose to go anonymous because of my age - by that time 41 - and also because if we had met her first then we would have had to have a cooling off period of 6 months before we could use her eggs. I dont know if that would have meant they would have gone ahead and frozen her donation of eggs (in which case they wouldnt have had such a great chance of survival) or she would have had to wait 6 months to go through the process. We chose anonymous mostly because of my age and another 6 months onto that - well - getting a bit old in my book. It wasnt until Jethro was born and I actually had him in my arms that I realised "his" biological history would be an important factor in his life - which is when we went about finding our donor and she us.
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:52:58 PM »

Sorry! Welcome Jules.!

Love and Truth go together.
tkpalmeri

Mother of 2 children from sperm donor #143 at QFG

tkpalmeri@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »

I think (not 100% sure) that in Victoria you are able to meet your potential donor and go for coffee in order to help you choose. 

Mother of 2 children from sperm donor #143 QFG.  Would like to make contact with donor and other siblings/parents. Donor was musician Dipl Audio Engineering, was born 1969. More info on in QLD section.  My children too love music. Daughter plays piano & clarinet. Son wants to learn guitar.
Daven
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:16:13 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:36:28 AM by Fiona » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: