Australian Donor Conception Forum
January 17, 2018, 01:08:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Babies  (Read 12295 times)
Hursty

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »

Anyone see the SBS doco last tues night? 8th jan.
I thought it was really well done. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
I tried to get on to the online chat afterwards but being W.A. is 2hrs behind - it was closed so I contacted SBS through Madeleine and they are going to keep the online chat after the show going for 4 hours instead of just 1 for anyone thats interested.
Anyone got an opinion on the show? What stood out to me was that they were all lovely stories but for one very important thing. They ALL knew their donor and they all had the donor in their lives (which is a good thing ) BUT they ALL called the donor (who is the real biological parent) and "Aunty" - they all called the biological half siblings "cousins" and they even had a set of biological grandparents who had to be called Aunty and Uncle. Why? They are all biological relatives in my view who have been given family titles but the wrong ones. And then they all turned around and said its important the child has the truth. Well at what age will it be appropriate to sit them down and give them the truth and let them know they have been deceived all these years and then for the kids to try and reform their relationships correctly? It reminds me of the olden days when alot of children grew up only to find out that their big sister was really their mother and their mother was really their grandmother. Oh when will we learn.
Sue

Love and Truth go together.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:43:05 PM »

I enjoyed the show, I particularly liked how they also showed a negative experience along with all of the positive ones to exhibit how there are a whole rainbow of emotions and experiences that occur with DC rather than just presenting one side (whether that be positive or negative). It presented DC as being far more complex than what most people in the general community believe it to be, which is great for education.
Looking forward to next weeks and seeing you on there Sue.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:25:41 PM »

I'm scared.

tkpalmeri

Mother of 2 children from sperm donor #143 at QFG

tkpalmeri@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »

The latest information from all the experts is to tell your children from birth.  I never did this.  I have only recently told my children aged 9 and 7 about their journey.  I wanted them to know before teenage years, but wanted them to be old enough to understand, so I waited till they were this age. (As they seem to understand about step children and marriage breakups etc etc due to the fact that they have friends at school living in these situations)  Once again I think that it is most important for the child to grow up knowing and for their to be NO secrets but as a parent only you will know when the time is right.  I would strongly recommend prior to teenage years though.  Hope this helps!

Mother of 2 children from sperm donor #143 QFG.  Would like to make contact with donor and other siblings/parents. Donor was musician Dipl Audio Engineering, was born 1969. More info on in QLD section.  My children too love music. Daughter plays piano & clarinet. Son wants to learn guitar.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 02:28:27 AM »

I've brought Jethro up from birth talking to him about our donor. And we met her when he was 18mths old. If you are watching the SBS doco tomorrow night at 7.30 you will meet us and see how we have handled it. Well - hope so anyway.
 Smiley Sue

Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »

I missed both episodes. Can you post the website where you were chatting? Is there a script of what was shown or anything?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:47:19 PM »

Great job Sue and Cyntra. It was good to see you guys again.
There was a magnificent photo of Jethro and Cyntra together which really showed their similarities.
Sue, I'm hoping that you'll answer a personal question for me? You don't have to answer it.
Did Jethro and Cyntra have an immediate bond that was recognisable the very first time they met? What I am getting at was did they seem as though they already knew each other ?
Cheers
Damian
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »

Yes Damian. Jethro took to Cyntra like a duck to water. When Cyntra said she got a shock when she first met us and she felt like she was looking into her own eyes.
She was.
But then Cyntra was genuinely welcomed so Jethro would have also felt that.
Those photos you were talking about were from the West Australian Newspaper. They gave both Cyntra and I a copy on cd of every photo they took. It was an awesome gift to us because of the importance of that day and Jethro has a record of it.
Did you see how easily he slipped up on to her knee while we were sitting around the kitchen table? Very comfortable!!!!
Quinny I recorded both episodes onto disk so if you email me with your address I will burn a copy of each and send to you.
 Smiley x Sue

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »

http://www21.sbs.com.au/sbsforum/viewtopic.php?+=15479
I think Quinny. Or try to google SBS Forum? The above was from last week but it might still get you there.
Sue

Rel

relly11@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »

Hello All!

I think i registered to this forum months ago and then forgot about it  Embarrassed apologies!! I've now bookmarked this page and will try to post more often.  There are so many groups in the DC world, some times it's hard to keep up physically and emotionally.  I know after last night's show and the forum I feel as though i have not slept yet.

Anyone want to come to Hawaii with me? Wink
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 12:30:34 AM »

Hi Sue,

I saw how he behaved around Cyntra which is why I asked. Somethings whether people like to admit it or not are just biological and not learnt.

Hi Rel
I'd rather go to the Cook Islands or maybe even Niue. Much more relaxing than that other state of the USA.
Rel

relly11@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 01:19:52 AM »

Ok, deal! Cook Islands it is.

On another note, just read a little more back over the forum last night and am so proud to know you Damian and Sue.... you really did so well!!!!

Hi Sue,

I saw how he behaved around Cyntra which is why I asked. Somethings whether people like to admit it or not are just biological and not learnt.

Hi Rel
I'd rather go to the Cook Islands or maybe even Niue. Much more relaxing than that other state of the USA.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 01:35:20 AM »

http://www21.sbs.com.au/sbsforum/viewtopic.php?+=15479
I think Quinny. Or try to google SBS Forum? The above was from last week but it might still get you there.
Sue

Thanks Sue. Found both forums with this link:
http://www21.sbs.com.au/sbsforum/index.php

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 01:37:16 AM »

Hello All!

I think i registered to this forum months ago and then forgot about it  Embarrassed apologies!! I've now bookmarked this page and will try to post more often.  There are so many groups in the DC world, some times it's hard to keep up physically and emotionally.  I know after last night's show and the forum I feel as though i have not slept yet.

Thanks Rel. It's good to see more DC people on here. Smiley

Anyone want to come to Hawaii with me? Wink

Not at the moment. Just got back from Kalgoorlie and need to relax at home. Smiley

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 08:13:12 AM »

Hey Rel
Well Hello AGAIN. I'll come too. Who's paying?
You know I'm proud to know you guys too and you can ask me anything you like Damian - after all - you 'all' let me interogate you and gave me very much appreciated truthful answers which have helped me immensley in learning of issues of dc I may encounter  with Jethro and foresight is just as good as hindsight if you get the right info.!! I think it is good that we can ask questions and get honest answers from each other without offense taken or intended. So if I can help then fire away.
x Sue  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: