Australian Donor Conception Forum
September 20, 2018, 10:19:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering Donated Eggs  (Read 3135 times)
vic

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2007, 10:56:34 AM »

Hi there

I am currently considering using donated eggs and would like to hear any advice.

A little bit about me: I am 33 years old and was diagnosed with early menopause in March. I visited Pivet and a doctor associated with Concept, to see if I had any eggs left but was told I didn't and went on the waiting list at both clinics for donor eggs.

I was told that anonymous donors were rare and so I resolved myself to the fact that I probably will never hear anything more from the clinics and that after I have come to terms with my diagnosis perhaps I should look into adoption (yet another lengthy process).

I received a call a couple of weeks ago from Pivet that they may have a donor in November (no guarantees) and if I was interested. My husband and I have undergone counselling and have had many lengthy discussions on the subject and feel that this is something that we would like to pursue.

I would really appreciate insight from people that have gone through this or are going through it just so I know I am making an informed decision and I'm as prepared as I can be.

Hope to hear from someone soon. Vic  Smiley
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:10:55 PM »

Dear Vic,

I can't personally help you with thoughts or feelings about egg donation - that is better left to the ladies that have actually been there.

I was surprised by your statement about anonymous donors. The RTAC which oversees infertility treatment in Australia (including licensing of clinics) has a guideline that there are to be no anonymous donors. To be more specific the RTAC says that the NHMRC guidelines must be followed in reference to ART procedures and it is the NHMRC that state that they must be identifiable.
What they mean by this is that the donor may not necessarily be known to you, but they have to be willing to provide non-identifying information for the child until they reach 16 or 18 (I thought it was 18 but another site has it listed as 16) and after that must be willing to be identifiable if the child wishes to know their identity. So they are "anonymous" for a period and after that it is up to the offspring.

Regards
Damian
vic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:05:44 AM »

Hi Damian

Thanks for the reply. By 'anonymous' I meant unknown to me but known to the clinic.

Vic  Smiley
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »

Hi Vic
I have a son who was conceived with donor eggs. He is now 5 yrs old.
If you would like to discuss indepth the issues surrounding egg donation etc.. Please feel free to contact me via email with your phone number and I will call you or I will reply email to you. Not sure what it is you want to know. I have lots of posts on this site re: the stuff we have been through personally with it all.
Regards
Sue  Smiley

Love and Truth go together.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: