Australian Donor Conception Forum
November 13, 2018, 12:31:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesbian viewpoints on birth Cert.  (Read 6788 times)
Fennel

ex Donor

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2008, 04:57:23 AM »

I found the perspectives interesting here...
http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index.php?showtopic=617494

Most are against having donor info on birth certificate.
(Also, for what its worth, I suggest avoid commenting unless you agree with the popular view, or like getting 'flamed')

New shoes can give you blisters
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:30:12 AM »

It always seems to come down to the bottom line which is
that childrens rights are supposed to be first and foremost and personally I feel that neglecting to give them the truth of their very being is bordering on emotional abuse. I dont care if my beliefs arent popular anymore. Flame me!!!  Shocked

Love and Truth go together.
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »

Thanks for the link. I read the replies at the time and didn't think they were too bad as I can see differing points of view and accept that.

I didn't really think birth certificates were such a big deal until I read the birth certificate debate in the UK parliament (I can't remember the link, maybe Damien could post it?). I don't think it's possible to please everyone about what to show on the birth certificate.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:43:31 PM »

Hi Quinny - that link has something to do with the IDOA - maybe google it and get somewhere?
Its a hard line I know but I think the only way that all children born through dc are going to be guaranteed access or even knowledge of their true biological heritage and family blood lines (like who doesnt cry when they watch "find my family") is truthful birth certification or indications that there was a third party involved in the conception and then a link to that person - at the very least - for human rights reasons apart from each and every individuals right to their own history.

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 01:55:30 AM »

While I definitely agree that children born, regardless of whether they are DC or not, should be guaranteed access or knowledge of their true biological heritage, I don't think birth certificates will be accurate enough for this.

It would still be up to the parents to say whether the baby is DC or not.

I think the only way to guarantee this is with an accurate DNA registry in which every single person is included. It would probably have to be a worldwide registry and I can't see that happening, at least not in my lifetime.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:46:54 AM »

Perhaps then the only answer is to ban donor conception on the basis that donor conceived people will always be discriminated against by being the only people in the world not entitled to their truth.  Huh

Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »

But they won't be the only people - there will still be children from those who have one night stands and affairs and such who may not reveal the father's identity.

Anyway I don't think banning donor conception is going to work - it will simply force it underground and allow a syndicate or organised crime group to control it and make a lot of money.

I understand what you are saying though, I think. Being donor conceived meaning that some will deliberately create a child without a known biological history.

Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 01:44:32 AM »

Yep Quinny - thats what I mean. "Deliberately" create a child without a biological history. I know that in many cases this is not what parents mean to do but it is how it ends up because the child grows into an adult in their own right and the time has just never "been right" for the parents to "fess up" and then all of a sudden we have an adult who finds out and then realises that he/she is not who they thought they have been for all these years. Thats alot to come to terms with.
The Australian govt recently acknowledged they needed to apologise to the stolen generation. They made adoption laws retrospective because of the anguish and emotional turmoil adoptees and state wards had because of missing family and bio info. Has nothing been learned? I feel so much compassion for the people out there approx 70% of in the dc community who will not be told of their truth. I do not feel this is fair and this is why I feel that some kind of mark and link should be put on birth certificates so that there is transparency in all actions in dc - otherwise its all just a lie. But this is just my personal opinion and i dont want to offend anyone by having this opinion - its just that i just dont get it "why" the same mistakes have to be made over and over again.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »

Thanks for posting that Fennel,
it is just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less, that if people do not wish to openly acknowledge the truth (eg accurate and truthful birth certificates), then they are not entirely comfortable with their choices and they need to create an arguement to convince themselves that what they are doing is right (eg to be deceptive).
I wont even bother putting my 2 cents on that forum as I will be accused of being ungrateful blah blah blah, heard it all before.

Adam, I do not have that link on hand but Sue is right I think if you search IDOA and birth certificates you should find it.

A dutch authority has only recently stated:
"Clarity over your family history is of fundamental importance for a child growing up. Obscuring your true identity is harmful," the Council for the Protection of Children, part of the Netherlands' Justice Ministry, said in a statement.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: