Australian Donor Conception Forum
October 24, 2018, 02:24:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NSW legislation  (Read 5570 times)
Caroline

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:58:13 AM »

The NSW Assisted Reproductive Technology Bill which was first presented to parliament (it was then forced to go back for a rewrite by the Donor Conception Support Group because it had no provision for a voluntary register)in December 2003 has been knocked back at cabinet level once again. this time apparently because there was a problem with the definition of an embryo.
After working for 14 years to try and get this legislation for my own children and for thousands of others it is so incredibly sad that these politicians do not see the importance of the Bill.
If anyone would take the time to write to the NSW government it would be great. Write to Reba Meagher (Health Minister) or Morris Iemma (Premier)
Thanks
Caroline
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »

Hi Caroline,

I share your frustration, I can't even get the pollies here in SA to write a bill even though their own bodies that recommend changes suggested that they do so some 7 years ago.
I tried writing to the NSW govt last time but got no-reply supposedly because I am not in NSW. So if anyone out there is in NSW,  PLEASE please write as Caroline has suggested. If NSW passes this legislation then perhaps I can put some more pressure on the SA govt.

Cheers
Damian
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:31:38 AM »

I have recently written to Jim McGinty (W.A. attourney general and minister for health) about some issues which highlight the need for a national register. Plus Leonie and Adam actually had a meeting with him earlier this year I think it was and I think the outcome of that was that the attourney generals from each state were going to discuss all this in their meeting. Anyone ever hear anything about the outcome of their meeting? I'm hoping Jim McGinty might get things moving here and in other states but I hope alot!!!! I havent yet heard back from him re: my letter to him but will let you know what he has to say when I do.
Yes I have written to NSW ministers before too and they basically dont want to know anything - I kind of got a thanks but no thanks and sent them all our newspaper clippings and everything - no hang on that was to Tony Abbot - hoping they would notice McGinty's lead. But no. Still not good enough.
Damian I have the copy of the stateline show on its way to me and I will copy it and send to you so please dont think I have forgotten - I am on the job.

Love and Truth go together.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 10:35:38 PM »

Thanks Sue,

as for the national register, each state AG has to go through what each of their states would require to be done to get this done at a national level. Remember that health is a state issue so in effect they would be giving up part of their constitutional right to legislate in this area (this is BIG STUFF). So after each state has worked out what they want/require then they are supposed to get back to the federal AG, and only if a consensus is then reached will legislation be able to move forward.
This will be slow going if it happens at all.

Cheers
Damian
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 08:23:41 AM »

Well especially slow moving if SA, NT , QLD , and NSW dont have any legislation at all!! What about Tassie - where do they stand in all this?
I'm sure if W.A. and VIC can do something it shoudnt be so hard for other states to follow you would think. Especially with all the blunders and crap going on at the moment ie women getting 2 healthy children instead of one.
Its so crazy.

dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 10:46:18 PM »

Hi Sue,

we do have legislation it is just horribly outdated and contains contradictory clauses:
1) the childs welfare is paramount
2) the donor has a right to anonymity
- you cannot have these two factors existing in the same legislation.

and of course no provisions for a register

Cheers
Damian
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 11:48:36 PM »

Do we know what was in the NSW ART Bill? Is there a copy of it somewhere?

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
Hursty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 07:56:25 AM »

I almost laughed (sarcastically) Damian when I read your contradictions!!
Of course - how on earth can the childs welfare be paramount when the donor has the right to anonymity? Far out do we have a bunch of idiots running this country or what.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: