Australian Donor Conception Forum
October 19, 2018, 07:15:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donor OAB  (Read 9217 times)
connie

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:05:30 PM »

Me again... different topic.... thought I would put a bit more information out there on behalf of one of my daughters.
Her donors code is OAB she was conceived at RHW Paddington in 1984 & was born in 1985. Her donor was 6'2", average build, brown hair, green eyes, A+ blood group olive skin was 26 & single at the time of donation & was Catholic and was a blood donor. Apparently RHW has his name & have tried to contact him but have had no reply. I have to wonder though if they are writing to him at the address that they had 28 years ago then it would be a very remote chance that he would still be at that address, my guess would be no chance, so do they really write to these donors???
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »

some do, some don't - we've heard reports that one clinic tried contacting a donor and said that he moved away. later on he was tracked down by others, and guess what, he hadn't moved anywhere.
The problem comes from the era of anonymity. Because of that many clinics are under no duress to actually contact the donors and so may tell stories to make the requesters feel a bit better.
I know that this sounds really cynical of me but I have heard far too many stories similar to the above mentioned one.
There are several online registers which people now use to put their details on as well as using genetic genealogy to discover who the donor is or even to find half-siblings.
So these are options that you could also consider.
Raglan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »

I'm a former donor at RHW and they have written to me and I correspond with 2 offspring. Sheila Sim at the RHW is very supportive of contact. PS: I only fit half your donors' criteria.
connie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:11:34 PM »

Hi Dadams, anonymity certainly has created a lot of problems. In my case I guess it made sense back then but as we get older our thoughts on the matter change we realise that our children have the right to know the truth, they were wanted created by the love of 2 parents with the help from another.

Hi Raglan my daughter has been in contact with Sheila Sim who told her that they have written to her donor but had no reply & they do know the names of her half siblings but none have requested information so again a dead end. They also told my daughter his occupation, reasons for donating, & hobbies/interests so they certainly have plenty of information on him.

I guess her only hope now is that a half sibling asks for information & considering she is one of 11 surely another parent out there has decided to tell their child the truth.
Lizzy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »

Presume your daughter has listed on the NSW registry (via NSWDept Health).
connie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »

Hi Lizzy my eldest daughter is listed on the Registry but my youngest has not posted her paperwork yet but it is in the process of being done
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: