Australian Donor Conception Forum
December 18, 2018, 09:05:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Security  (Read 4541 times)
Quinny
Administrator

Donor offspring from Perth, WA

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2006, 10:55:24 AM »

Hello,

Had a suggestion to implement something so that only people involved in donor conception issues can join up. Personally, that's not something that I want as I think people without direct involvement should be able to join, eg. potential parents, people involved in government, concerned public, etc...
The concern is that there'll be "psychos" (you know the type of people) who will join up to ridicule and hassle others.

I know Mitch had an idea about having another membership level for people actually involved in donor conception issues as could be identified by the DCSG or one of the voluntary registers. Within this membership there could be other categories (areas to post messages) which other members and the public would not be able to see.

Hopefully this would address the concerns of the person making the original suggestion.

Cheers,
Quinny

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
dadams

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 05:13:40 AM »

I don't know about that.
Surely you and Mitch as moderators could remove people as you saw fit.
Would that not be enough?
Because I agree with you in that this might be a good forum for all people to be active in.

Regards
Damian.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:54:28 AM »

Yes for sure I will be moderating to remove nasty posts and to ban users who are abusing others or doing other sorts of unacceptable behavior.

As the forum picks up I hope that other people would like to become moderators as well.

Glad you agree with me, as I would like the general public to be able to read and post here. Smiley Having said that, if people want to keep things personal and private there is the ability to send a personal message to a particular person.

Donor conceived adult from Perth, Western Australia. Searching for a donor who donated to Dr Colin Douglas-Smith in 1976.
kimh297

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:22:55 AM »

I don't know the origins of this forum, and what its purpose is ie is it to raise awareness, is it for the benefit of donor children etc etc.   but something else to consider is the ability to read posts in this forum without being a member.

I understand you want to make it open to the public but there is a lot of informaiton that could be considered confidential or that people don't want all and sundry viewing.  It came up as an issue on another forum in relation to those people seeking information about their donor and whether they would post details of who their donor was.  I guess ultimately if everyone is aware that all and sundry can read what is on here then they will make there decision whether to post or not.  However if this is going to be used as a register of sorts than perhaps that area can be made private to those concerned.  How you vet that not sure. 

Maybe you could make the "Searching for information" open to members only.
Quinny
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the message.

First off, there are currently two Members Only categories on the forum; "Donor Conceived Children/Adults" and "Donors". These areas are open only to members to read and to post.
If you would like any particular Members Only category set up that is no problem.

As for the "Searching For Information" section - that is the one thing I would want public. Making it public means it will be searchable. People who do not want to join up are able to view the information. I want as many people as possible to know that I am looking for biological relations.

My personal thoughts aside, if people want a Members Only area to post their search details then that is no problem to set up. Bear in mind that anyone can become a member so in effect it is still somewhat "public".
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:29:06 AM by Quinny » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: